Paint stripping

Started by pierre the shy, 29 December 2017, 10:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Many years ago I got some 28mm Frontrank figures painted up for a DBMM Burgundian Ordonnance army but the project went cold for a number of reasons and has hidden in the back of my cupboard for at least 8 years.  :-[  :(

I have no idea what type of paint was used on them but one of my 2018 resolutions is to finally get the army finished. I pulled out the figures I have for a look and while some are OK others look really bleah and could do with a repaint (mainly armour or basic blue/white half-and-half liveries).

I have used Simple Green (a pine oil based cleaner) to strip 6mm micro armour quite successfully in the past. With a bit of a scrub in warm water and an old tooth brush to tackle any hard to shift paint the models all cleaned up well.

Any ideas on the best non-toxic stuff to strip the 28mm figures back with if I can't just retouch them? Or do you think Simple Green will do the trick if needed (still got some).

Cheers
Peter

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

jimduncanuk

Simple Green is worth a bash.

Most of my better solutions are 'toxic'.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Put them in the dishwasher works surprisingly well too!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Been taking another look this afternoon and looks like a bit of touching up should do the trick for most of the figures.

Found about 50 more unpainted Frontrank archers and dismounted knights in one of the boxes too - where the @#$% did they come from?  ??? :-

Should be able to get these guys on the table sometime in 2018 after a bit (well quite a lot really) of TLC. 
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Womble67

My guide for stripping miniatures with Dettol hope it helps.

As always, comments are appreciated.

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!