American Civil War

Started by Jesus, 29 December 2017, 10:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

When I painted my Seven Years War miniatures, I spent a lot of money on Osprey uniform books which I could well have saved if I had known about the Kronoskaf website beforehand. So, when it came to painting my Civil War miniatures, I avoided spending money on uniform books and resorted to the internet instead.

Reasoning that re-enactors are more likely to be motivated in "getting things right," I focused on movies that re-enactors have got involved in (e.g., Gettysburg & Gods and Generals) and suppliers of Civil War uniforms, equipment and accessories.  I therefore recommend you do the same. The movies can be found on Amazon, YouTube, etc., as can footage of re-enactors' events. I have also referred to the movie, Glory. Suppliers of Uniforms, etc., are easily found using any search engine such as Google. Here are links to some suppliers. These are great for getting uniform colours and shades, hat colours, equipment colours, etc., and should help you paint the majority of your ACW armies, authentically and economically.

http://www.ccsutlery.com/store/ccsutlery.html
https://fcsutler.com
http://www.regtqm.com
https://www.civilwarsutler.co.uk

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ace of Spades

I am an American Civil War re-enactor (and several other periods) and have been for many years. We recreate the 6th Alabama Infantry that fought in the East from '62 onward and gained it's fame in the Sunken Road at Sharpsburg (Antietam for Yankees) under Gordon. To use re-enactors as a guideline is not always wise as I have seen many that are just in it for the fun and guns. I could point out some very good units if you're interested.

What I see is that it is sometimeshard to recognize certain types of equipment on figures if you don't know exactly what you're looking at, which makes painting them correctly also very difficult. Personally I find it a pity to see such quality paintwork being somewhat spoield by historical innacuracies, but hey... that's me!
As Dr. Dave already mentioned leather for Union troops is all black except for example for USMC and some early militia units who could have worn white. Haversacks for the Union were usually black but off-white or natural cotton wasalso used. Backpacks are black, in US service often with unit designations painted or stamped on them in white paint.
The canteens you have painted blue with the white 'circle' around them are US model 'Bullseye' canteens made from stamped tin plate with concentric rings for strength. These were issued with wool cloth covers, normally in light or dark blue but were often used without the covers showing the dull metal.

The Osprey books on the ACW, especially the later titles, are quite good actually although they do usually concentrate on very specific small units. Still; standard equipment used is usually portrayed very well.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 10 January 2018, 08:52:30 AM
To use re-enactors as a guideline is not always wise as I have seen many that are just in it for the fun and guns.

Yes, there is always that to bear in mind. Indeed, in one of the above movies (can't remember which one), I recall seeing in one scene portraying a particularly serious battle situation (might have been Union routing troops at Chancellorsville?), one of the re-enactors running past the camera with a broad grin on his face(!) ...... #-o  :D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Jesus

You have bitten me and I have already changed the orange socks for whites. But the backpacks will not change because if I paint them black the figure will be too dark, it will be a small license to take me, apart from others that may suffer. I am a lover of osprey, but I can tell you that to paint something I sometimes spend more hours trying to find good models than painting. Even the plates are inaccurate at times, I remember when I painted the French blue cannons because I saw it and it turns out they were green as you told me. I try to be the most trustworthy possible but it is a task that is sometimes impossible or too titanic for me. So I am satisfied with reaching an accuracy of 80-90%.
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

Dr Dave

You're right that with black packs and straps they do look dark, but thems the breaks! I undercoat black, but then dry brush lighter shades of brown up to a beige to reveal where the edges of the packs have become worn and scuffed, showing the canvas through. It looks great at the end. I don't know how you'd cope with painting the Brunswickers for Waterloo.  ;)

Ace of Spades

Everybody should of course do what they are comfortable with and with the quality of your paintwork we'll forgive you the 10% on authenticity  ;)

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Jesus

:) :) ;)
I'll only paint the face and the rifle to the brunswick  ;D

Jesus

Seriously, to paint them first I would put a base of black smoke, for example, and then I would take out some lights with a gray, to which you can add some spot of dirt on the pants. It is what I had thought to do in the straps and what I do in the cartridge cases.

Jesus

Although it can also be interesting to give a base of gray and then make lights with black.

Jesus

Finish

Jesus

Jesus

.The rebels are also finished. When I have the diorama, I show it to you

Techno

Very nice, again, J.   :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sweet, Jesus! As ever brilliant work sir
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!