1866 - Bavarian overtures

Started by cameronian, 23 December 2017, 12:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

They probably don't get much of an outing as they are relatively small,eg only Langensaltza has made it as a BBB scenario. However some of these actions make good games using more in-depth battalion or  company level rules. It is nice to see in Bruce Weigle's new 1871 rules that company level actions are now viable, in a much more user-friendly format (his tables are still too big for most normal sized rooms though - my solution has been to reduce the foot on his scenario maps to 20cm and use home-made 18mm to the inch rulers).
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Might be worth digging out my copy of Mitt Blud Und Eisen as I think Hwicce's group have some Western front scenarios which might even have Kissingen now I think about it!

As it's also a Fire & FURY esq set there should be enough common ground for my newer players to grasp. Or I could look at running it in BBB's lowest scale a la Balaclava/Langensalza/Montebello... I think 500 to a base still gives a useful amount of units!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

The BBB lowest level would make a brigade a viable unit, rather than the division of the bigger battles. Have you tried the 1866 Saxon command with the 1866 Bavarian infantry? The officer needs a bit of a headgear trim, but should work ok. The 1866 Saxon artillery crew also looks ok for 1866 Bavarians. I do like the 1866 peaked cap look, and the Bavarian infantry sculpts are particularly good. The Bavarians can put up a reasonable fight as they did not adopt the stosstaktik of the Austrians.

toxicpixie

I'm tempted by 10mm but given time and monetary budgets 2mm is more likely! Especially as I've Prussians already done.

But i might see what's in the kitty come WMMS in a month, and bag an army pack of something that takes the fancy :D

Yes, when you are allowed to use your rifle as a gun and not a spear you'll probably do better :S
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman