Scenario 14: static defense from one hour wargames

Started by petercooman, 23 December 2017, 01:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Been too long since i rolled some dice in anger, so i tried this one. Played theone hour wargames scenario, but used "napoleonic wargaming" with my changes for the ACW. A lot of pictures turned out rubbish, but it's just for fun!

Fairly straightforward scenario; red army (confederates) controls the hill and the town, blue army has to take one of the two before the game ends.

Rolled up the armies from the one hour wargame book, but instead of rolling up an army of 6 units, i rolled up 2 armies for each side, one of 4 and one of 3. Confederates got 4 infantry, 2 light infantry (changed zouaves for light infantry) and 1 artillery, union got 5 infantry and 2 artillery.

The Confederates deployed like this:

First turn saw union troops enter the board,dividing evenly among the targets but put one more unit of troops to capture the town.

rebel first turn saw them redeploying their lights to the forest.

And one of the infantry getting in position for the enemy's flanks

turn 2, and the artillerydeployed and the men got on their way (taking some atillery fire)

the right flank got into position for their attack

but immediately took heavy fire from the enemy

their return fire in turn 3 from the cannnon was pretty awful

And the shots from the infantry were not better

At least the cannon on the other side hit something!

And one hit was done against the lights

Bottom of turn 3 saw some hits on the foward unit on the left flank

And on the right the lights shot some more

Turn 4 saw the forward unit on the left flank redirect itself towards the infantry next to the hill

and the other flank doing very few hits

The confederates however were pretty much cosistent in dealing damage, and brought their troops forward to do even more

But the union troops finally got some better dice rolls, removing a stand

The attack on left is stalling

While on right, there are big chunks missing from the army

But left flank is following closely!

The last regiment on the right gets some lucky shots off though, removing another base ofthe enemy infantry

while left gets ready to charge the hill

The rebels, pretty confident on right, pull back one of the lights to support the hill

While their infantry fails to finish of the last stand of the opposing regiment

In their turn, the union lines up to charge

While their other flank holds on by the skin of it's teeth

absorbing hit after hit

the lights try to stop the charge

But get hit bad by the artillery

On right they get a lucky break as well

But it is not to be, the charge goes wrong and the remainder of the union infantry flees back down the hill

After another turn of shooting, the union decides it is best to retreat!

Confederate victory!

Great game, but very unlucky rolls for the union! Confederate troops had all the sixes!!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Thanks! Was a bit rushed, but it was 2 AM so not that fresh anymore  ;D

Sadly I get up at 7-8 AM  :(

Steve J

Nice report and I keep meaning to give these and his other rules a decent run out. Sadly I seem to get distracted by other rules. Maybe over the Xmas break I might find some time, but doubt it...

Techno

petercooman

Quote from: Steve J on 23 December 2017, 10:05:23 AM
Nice report and I keep meaning to give these and his other rules a decent run out. Sadly I seem to get distracted by other rules. Maybe over the Xmas break I might find some time, but doubt it...

In all honesty, I find the one hour wargame rules too simple for my tastes. They give a good game, but not what I'm looking for. The scenarios in the book are really good though, and can easily be used with his other rulesets!

I like the Napoleonic rules, but will eventually get his other books as well I think! They are just quick and give a great game! They also scale pretty good with larger armies!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!