1/144 post war/modern aircraft query

Started by Sunray, 22 December 2017, 01:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Right.  I am looking for a 1960s/early 70 kit with loads of bombs/ordinance.

It needs to be cheap, and in 1/144 scale.  Something like a Phantom or Freedom Fighter ? Or even a Tornado -  just need loads of bombs.  :) :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Revell do an A10 for under a tenner. Avoid Japanese originals, I got a Jag with 4 massively overscale winders - now looking like ssm on a 15mm FPB. You should also be able to find Revel Tornadoes F4's F-14's and F15's.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dr Dave

Ianrs54 is spot with the A10. Also their Harrier AV8b. Lots of Paveway LGBs and pods for both kits.

Are you after high tech or simple dumb bombs? IIRC Revell did a 1960s USAF Vietnam era tactical bomber toys that had lots of bombs on pylons. Can't recall the kit though.

GrumpyOldMan

Hi

Academy are probably you're best bet - https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/plastic-model-kits-aircraft-model-kits-1144-c-27_37.html?filter_id=30

Not sure of which ones are carrying a lot of 'bang for buck'  but if you have time you could add extra from OzMods  :D.

Meanwhile could I interest you in a Zvezda Hind helicopter (flying since 1972), just as frightening and carrying a fine payload (never mind the quality, feel the width  :) ) -

https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/zvezda-1144-mi24v-hind-soviet-attack-helicopter-7403-p-48030.html

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Academy do a fair range - including some things which never existed outside prototypes, like the Ye 266 which they sold as a MiG 23. They are the firm my Jag came from, so loads may be a tad odd.

Not done the Zevda Hind, but have done an Apache for someone else, not easy to assemble.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Many thanks - some good suggestions here.  My mate donated  some DRAGON winders and iron bombs.  Possibly a Mirage/Kifr kit ?

The gap for ordinance in 1/144 must exist.  I note that at least one 6mm supplier has dedicated blister packs of rockets, bombs and missiles. 

Risaldar Singh

25 December 2017, 07:42:26 PM #6 Last Edit: 25 December 2017, 07:44:35 PM by Risaldar Singh
You may want to grab one of the Arii or LS ordnance sets.

Sunray

Quote from: Risaldar Singh on 25 December 2017, 07:42:26 PM
You may want to grab one of the Arii or LS ordnance sets.

Thanks Risaldar - but are these kits that easy to "grab"?  A quick search found "out of stock" the common message.  At less than £2 they are OK price wise, but hard to source perhaps ? 

Risaldar Singh

It's been out of production for a long time (and the earlier LS incarnation for longer still) but it does turn up from time to time on eBay.

petercooman

If you ever feel more destructive, monogram made a big missile set.

Very nice for objectives in cold war games.

There is currently one on ebay on auction standing at about 10$. Already has one bid though!

petercooman

petercooman

26 December 2017, 09:31:02 AM #11 Last Edit: 26 December 2017, 09:33:02 AM by petercooman
Can i ask why you need loads of bombs?

If you are looking to make a depot or airfield maybe these would be a better option instead of cannibalizing a perfectly good kit:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/G3KGBBJGU/1-144-german-bomb-transportation-set

or this:
https://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/vehicles/dorrgsepreview.htm

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Quote from: petercooman on 26 December 2017, 09:31:02 AM
Can i ask why you need loads of bombs?

Thee good reasons :

1. Because a lot of kits come "clean" with no/wrong payload.

2. Eye candy.  Its like a model soldier with no weapon, rifle or gun.  In the case of my Gloster Meteor, it needed a load of 60lb rockets in keeping with post war role.  And likewise the Me 109s in post war games - either as the Spanish or Czech ground attack versions.

3. In Post War COIN, it was quickly established that relatively slow trainers with unswept wings and even prop aircraft made ideal ground attack. Hence the French use of Texans in Indo China and British Aero space reinventing the Jet Provost as the "Strikemaster".   The Sabre also served in close support once its day as a dog fighter was over- as did MiG 15 &17. The off the shelf kits don't have weapons.  A token payload underwing makes it clear that the model on the table means business in the same way that a GPMG in sustained fire figure base is recognisable from an ordinary base.

petercooman

AH gotcha. I thought You wanted them for scenery purpose!

For rockets the micro wings typhoon had a bunch, and was pretty cheap at 2£ i believe!