a solo system for WWII tactical

Started by Norm, 14 December 2017, 05:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Over the course of a dozen games, I have put together some thoughts on the solo system for the Lock 'n Load tactical boardgame and since it all rather felt like a journey of revelation, I thought I would do a blog post that covered my learning curve. For figure gamers there may be principles from the system that will interest.

LINK -
https://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/lock-n-load-solo-module.html

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Very informative and interesting post Norm

Norm

Thanks Gents. setting aside the good and the bad about the module, it did turn a light on in my dark corner of solitaire play and made me realise just how scripted my own play is to an extent. This feeds in to scenario design, which I like doing, but perhaps the designs ultimately meet my own style of play and another might not see any elegance in it at all - or even get it to work for them. A lot of interest beyond the module itself.

d_Guy

Norm, I enjoyed reading through your processing of how you do solo gaming. Like you I am very happy the "old school" way but enjoy reading about ways to shake up ones thinking so you don't play both sides in a predictable way. I was curious if you had thought about rationing the number of times you could use "judgement call"? With only a limited number of "overrides" it could force a greater use of the Al (and add a "meta judgement call", I suppose  :)).

My gaming vocabulary isn't very robust so I hope this last made sense.

Incidently, the only L'n'L published game I have is  "Space Infantry", designed as solo from the ground up and very well done.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Norm

I don't think you could limit the number of judgement calls, because it is essential that you stop the system doing something stupid and advancing over open terrain say onto a prepared defence, inviting disaster, would be typical of the sort of behaviour that should always be stopped.

For me, the reduction in the number of judgement calls, needs to come from letting the AI always do what it want when it is not detrimental, which of course is different to 'risky' which is something that we might all practice in if the situation demanded.

paulr

Our group firmly believes that a corollary of "no plan survives contact with the enemy" is "no scenario survives contact with players" ;D

The look of horror and confusion on the face of the scenario designer is a joy to behold when we do something totally unexpected  :D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

After many years of face-to-face boardgaming gaming with Mike, our usual pattern for a new game is that the host does a solo game during the week to get a feel of the game and rules - but come Friday evening, the face-to-face, it is the host player who is thrown by surprise, as the guest player plays the game to a different plan, unforeseen by the now 'expert' :-) host layer, such are the joys of an opponent.