UK Show not to be missed

Started by lentulus, 12 December 2017, 03:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

12 December 2017, 03:31:55 PM Last Edit: 12 December 2017, 03:40:04 PM by lentulus
Might be a slightly off the wall question, but if there was one show in all the UK in the last half of 2018 absolutely not to be missed, what would it be, why, and if I flew into London how would I get there?  Not that I will certainly be going, but this is a bit more than daydreaming.

Oh, it has to be a show Pendraken will attend of course!  and thanks in advance.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

REally depends what your after. One of  the best is Joy of 6, WMSS was good, Worlds wasn't good this year, mainly cause the venue was too crowded, and located in the middle of nowhere. I'd avoid Salute, strikes me as a total rip off.

Cheers

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Shedman

Warfare at Reading is pretty good - usually in mid November - and Pendraken attend it

See https://www.wargamesassociationreading.co.uk/warfare-55.html for the show just gone

Ithoriel

Claymore 2018 in Edinburgh

First Saturday in August. Pendraken attend, as do lots of others.

Combine it with a trip to the Edinburgh International Festival and the Festival Fringe. Send your Significant Other off to the shops in Princes Street and The Royal Mile.

Visit some or all of Edinburgh Castle, The Camera Obscura, The Palace of Holyrood, Gladstones Land, John Knox's House, The Museum of Childhood, The Museum of Edinburgh or The Writer's Museum (the latter situated in the atmospheric Lady Stair's Close). All of which are on The Royal Mile - so much to see in such a compact space :)

Enjoy the varied weather - often several different weathers in the space of a single day!

For speed, take one of the many daily  flights from London to Edinburgh or alternatively take a more leisurely trip by train and see rather more of the UK than you can from 28,000 feet :)

Sold on this yet?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: lentulus on 12 December 2017, 03:31:55 PM

, and if I flew into London how would I get there?

Come on man, get real. Why fly into London.

There are two international airports in Scotland, both of which are handy for Claymore and are both closer therefore cheaper than flying into London. Flight times from Toronto to Edinburgh are around 6 hours 40 whereas Toronto to London 10 hours 30 (just an example).

Claymore is usually held on the first Saturday in August so the 4th will be the day.

All the world comes to Edinburgh in August, even Canadians, all are most welcome.

My Ego forbids a signature.

lentulus

12 December 2017, 05:14:30 PM #5 Last Edit: 12 December 2017, 05:26:03 PM by lentulus
Quote from: jimduncanuk on 12 December 2017, 04:50:43 PM
Flight times from Toronto to Edinburgh are around 6 hours 40 whereas Toronto to London 10 hours 30 (just an example).

Well, actually, I am butt lazy and London is a direct flight to Halifax.  In fact, I am pretty sure London to Edinburgh is shorter than Halifax to Toronto.  A train ride across the UK sounds like fun, though.

Edit: And it only takes 4-5 hours?  Four hours by land from Halifax, I have a choice between wilderness with trees and moose or wilderness with trees and desolate shoreline.

jimduncanuk

Didn't realise Halifax was so close to absolutely nowhere.

Still, fly to Heathrow and get on the next plane north to Glasgow/Edinburgh. You know you want to.

Subedai

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 12 December 2017, 05:39:32 PM
Didn't realise Halifax was so close to absolutely nowhere.

Still, fly to Heathrow and get on the next plane north to Glasgow/Edinburgh. You know you want to.

I'd compare rail and flight costs to either of the Scottish places, the former are ridiculously expensive over here.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

lentulus

Quote from: Subedai on 12 December 2017, 07:06:45 PM
I'd compare rail and flight costs to either of the Scottish places, the former are ridiculously expensive over here.

My goodness!  Rail would certainly be for the experience.  Well, we will worry later closer to the event.  But at the risk of the conversation off the rails, what's the best way to travel short distances in the UK?  Say  a couple of hundred kilometers, given that I am not ready to drive on the other side of the road.

fred.

Quote from: lentulus on 12 December 2017, 07:22:19 PM
what's the best way to travel short distances in the UK?  Say  a couple of hundred kilometers,

In the UK that's regarded as a fair distance.

Travel distances in the UK are now better measured in time rather than distance. As some journeys of a considerable distance can be much quicker than others that are much shorter, which pass through (or close to) major urban areas with considerable congestion.

If you want to go from City to City, and generally north to south (rather than east to west) then train is probably the best option. But going to non-city locations can be very slow by train - unless the place happens to be on a major line. And trains can suffer major delays.

Car is often the best choice, and often the worst, due to congestion, road works etc. I can well understand not wanting to drive on the wrong side of the road, and in the UK.

I'm now so used to driving, I'm not sure what the best other options are. Public transport can work, but often takes a lot of planning research and local knowledge...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

jimduncanuk

Quote from: lentulus on 12 December 2017, 07:22:19 PM

My goodness!  Rail would certainly be for the experience.  Well, we will worry later closer to the event.  But at the risk of the conversation off the rails, what's the best way to travel short distances in the UK?  Say  a couple of hundred kilometers, given that I am not ready to drive on the other side of the road.

Driving is certainly easier than you think. I've driven thousands of miles in the States and in Europe and never had a problem.

However it would take all day to drive from London to Edinburgh (8 hours, 6-700km) assuming you avoided traffic jams and temporary holdups. I would fly.

Not sure what a hire car would cost but probably £80-100 in fuel alone. A cheap flight ticket would cost £40-80 and would take less than 2 hours.

d_Guy

Since we have this thread open - I may have an opportunity (in conjunction with other possible travel plans) to attend SKELP in early October 2018.
Is this one that the Pendraken crew attends?
Who else on this board normal attends this show? (So I can give them fair warning  :P)
Sleep with clean hands ...

jimduncanuk

Yes I go to SKELP every year.

It's a couple of hours drive north from Edinburgh.

Pendraken are normally attendant.

It is a small show though.

Leon

Back to the original question, it probably depends on what you'd prefer to see at an event?

Vapnartak is in York in February, great selection of traders, busy show, nice city to stay in.
Hammerhead is in Newark in March, focussed on participation gaming with the trade being secondary, like the US conventions but over a single day.  It's in the middle of the UK so lots of things to do around about.
Salute is in London in April, biggest show in the UK with 170 traders.  It can be expensive to attend, but it's certainly a much bigger event than anything else in the UK.
Claymore is in Edinburgh in August, as the others have said it's a great show in a great city.
Colours is in Newbury in September, large show and near to London for access.
Warfare is in Reading in November and is over 2-days.  Near to London again for access to things.

There are probably close to 50 other shows in the UK each year, but the above are the ones which are probably worth a visit from your side of the pond.  Many of the others are great events in their own right, but maybe not easy to get to, or don't have as much to do in the local area.

Quote from: d_Guy on 12 December 2017, 08:07:47 PM
Since we have this thread open - I may have an opportunity (in conjunction with other possible travel plans) to attend SKELP in early October 2018.
Is this one that the Pendraken crew attends?

Unfortunately I don't think we'll be there next year, the takings have gone down at Skelp over the past few years and I don't think it's viable for us to go along anymore.  It's 2 days away from home and over 12 hours sat in the van travelling, so we need to be taking enough to pay ourselves something for all that time away.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Ace of Spades

More or less on topic... I was planning to visit the show at Falkirk (Carronade) in May this year; you will be there...?

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!