BKC-2 Query

Started by T13A, 11 December 2017, 02:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

I was just wondering if people allow infantry units to be 'dug-in' and thereby get a 'save' throw if they are in wooden built-up-areas as you do not get a 'save' for simply being within wooden buildings.

Grateful for your thoughts.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Wooden buildings dont give cover per se in the real world, but it would require a 6 to as being in said built up area. I would therefore judge no save.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Shedman

In BKC-2 dug-in means deploying at the start of the game in trenches, gun pits and AFV pits (pg 6 Concealed troops)

Therefore infantry in trenches

are only hit on a 6  (pg 20 Scoring hits)

a save of 5 if in trenches  (pg 20 Saves)

T13A

Hi Ian and Shedman

Thanks for the replies guys but I obviously did not make it clear in my question. I know what the rules are regarding cover and wooden buildings. I was just wondering if people allow troops to be 'dug in' (after paying the points required for being in trenches etc.) if occupying wooden built-up-areas (assuming any built-up-area includes gardens and some open spaces) and thereby getting a 'save' throw which they otherwise would not get? 

Hope that makes more sense.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Dr Dave

If I understand you right you're asking if troops can be dug in in a BUA of wooden buildings? The answer is "yes" - yes yes yes yes yes.

Decent troops would get the floor boards up, barricade the doors and windows, Booby trap every room and even dig in in the now exposed foundations -making apertures in the walls to fire through at floor level. It's in training manuals of the time. Even without these steps they should be harder to hit simply because they are harder to see.  Gardens, hedges, walls -it all helps.

Sunray

Quote from: Dr Dave on 11 December 2017, 08:11:21 PM
If I understand you right you're asking if troops can be dug in in a BUA of wooden buildings? The answer is "yes" - yes yes yes yes yes.

Decent troops would ...........

Here I wager my PhD (Queens Belfast) you have the answer.  Troops of veteran/elite status or any with FIBUA training will do the "decent" thing

Early in the Balkans - I saw the result of Serb/Bosnian  militias being cleared from wooden buildings by GPMG/HMG fire. As the war progressed and they became hardened, there was evidence of wiser tactics. Like removing the bottom of the walls and creating fire slits which complimented fully dug in weapon pits.

An officer from the RWF showed me images from WW1 of Germans doing a similar tactic in Russia.  There are advantages in using buildings (1) shelter and warmth, (2) concealment from hostile CAP, and with a bit of hessian to cover the fire slits - good ambush potential.

The down side is getting trapped in a collapsed/ burning building.  In the recent Afghan, 1 Royal Irish found Haji boys  using shanty type buildings in similar mode.  If there was no signs of normal civvy activity, the SOP was to mallet with a 66LAW.  This useful application of an obsolete weapon has given the old 66 a new lease of life. 

T13A

Thanks Dr Dave and Sunray.

I was just wondering if people did it using BKC2. Not something I personally got into in my Chieftain days. ;)

T13A Out

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Sunray

Quote from: T13A on 12 December 2017, 08:10:05 PM
Thanks Dr Dave and Sunray.

I was just wondering if people did it using BKC2. Not something I personally got into in my Chieftain days. ;)

T13A Out

Cheers Paul

No worries Paul.  I would award comprehension of how to fortify wooden houses to vet or elite troops.  And if you want to avoid being compromised tell the Smoky Joe jockeys not to keep turning their confounded Leyland  engines !  :)