We hates Tiger Tanks, precious.

Started by FierceKitty, 10 December 2017, 09:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

"You think you got problems Comrade ?  I have a troop of Royal Irish Hussar Centurions swanning  down the valley towards this cross roads.

I have a few crapped out T34s and a section of 57mm AT.  Air support ? What air support?

If only Uncle Joe had spared us a few JSIIIs ........ :(

So all you traumatised Tiger victims. Victim support is at hand   The Korean day is dawning.....

FierceKitty

Quote from: Dr Dave on 19 December 2017, 10:31:26 AM
Too true - the thing is don't do it piecemeal - You have to mean it.

If it's a points based game then I'd hope that the Tigers were outnumbered, and outnumbered in a historical scenario as well for that matter?

I had a Churchill with a 75mm, a Lee, and two crusader III tanks, vs two tigers.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

petercooman

I suggest you feed the lee to the tigers while the rest retreat. Should keep them busy...

DanJ

QuoteTom Davidson, former owner of the former Dragon & George (a Local Shop for Local Gamers  Cool ) in Glasgow, also hated Tigers, but was forced by limited minis available to take a couple in his OOB for a game of Spearhead many years ago. All I had for arty as the Plucky Brits was a 3" mortar. It needed 2 consecutive die rolls of 11+ on 2d6 to knock a Tiger out...

I've heard what is probably an apocryphal that a Tiger II was taken out by a 2" mortar.  The story goes that a British section stumbled across a couple of Tiger IIs while they were re-arming and before leaving fired a couple of 2" mortar rounds at the ammo truck, the resulting explosion dislodged one of the tiger's turrent and caused an internal explosion.  Who says reality doesn't mimic gaming?

Subedai

I seem to remember reading some memoir and the bloke said that it took about five Shermans to take out a Tigger; four to occupy it frontally while the fifth slipped around the flank.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Dr Dave

As an alternative you could go for the fully authentic approach and send 600 heavy bombers to the Tiger works in Kassel?  ;)

Raider4

Quote from: Dr Dave on 23 January 2018, 05:12:51 PM
As an alternative you could go for the fully authentic approach and send 600 heavy bombers to the Tiger works in Kassel?  ;)

Well, that works in the long term, but doesn't really deal with the problem of the one that's 300 yards away and with it's turret rapidly turning to point in your direction . . .

Cheers, M.
--

T13A

M

I think it's a case of, "SMOKE, DRIVER, FULL SPEED, REVERSE HARD LEFT, GUNNER, TANK, 300 YARDS, FIRE!"

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

fsn

Didn't think Tiger turrets did "rapidly"?

"Ponderously". "Ominously". "Menacingly".

Me, I'd hit it with a battery of 5.5" guns, or better still a broadside from HMS Warspite.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

Pte Eric Tipping formerly of 1st bttn the Worcestershire Regt told me last year that his platoon faced down 2 Tigers on "the island" north of Nijmegen. Eric was hot on his tank spotting and and vehement that these were Tigers with about 40 infantry following them.

The platoon commander called for the PIAT but no one knew where it was. At about 50yds his platoon, unseen up to this point, opened fire with everything - except the PIAT! Both Tiger commanders were killed by head shots. The infantry were similarly cut about. The Tigers halted and then withdrew along with the surviving infantry.

Eric passed away in December. The Mercian Regiment sent a representative.