1815 Brunswickers released!

Started by Leon, 07 December 2017, 11:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

It's been a bit longer than planned but the new 1815 Brunswickers are now ready to take to the field!

The army of Brunswick was raised from volunteers by German-born Frederick William, Duke of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel. The Duke was a harsh opponent of Napoleon Bonaparte's occupation of his native Germany and the corps initially comprised a mixed force when it was formed in 1809, around 2,300 men comprised of infantry, cavalry and later supporting artillery.

The Brunswickers earned themselves a fearsome reputation, taking part in several significant battles including Quatre Bras and Waterloo.  Recruiting and finance were always problematic and the corps was disbanded in the early 1820s.

Most units wore black uniforms, though some light units (such as sharpshooters and uhlans) wore green uniforms. The Brunswickers wore silvered skull badges on their hats.

Napoleonic
1815 Brunswickers - https://pendraken.co.uk/napoleonic/1812-1815/brunswickers/
NBW1   Line infantry, march attack   £4.95
NBW2   Line infantry, firing   £4.95
NBW3   Line infantry command   £4.95
NBW4   Line mounted officers (5)   £1.65
NBW5   Light infantry, march attack, inc. command (16)   £2.65
NBW6   Light infantry, firing, inc. command (16)   £2.65
NBW7   Light mounted officer (5)   £1.65
NBW8   Leib Battalion   £4.95
NBW9   Leib Battalion mounted officer (5)   £1.65
NBW10   Avant-Garde   £4.95
NBW11   Hussars   £4.95
NBW12   Uhlans   £4.95
NBW13   French 6pdr guns with foot crew (3)   £4.95
NBW14   French 6pdr guns with horse crew (3)   £4.95
NBW15   Duke of Brunswick and ADC (2)   £0.80
Army Pack:    4 x NBW1. 1 x NBW5, 11, 13. ½ x NBW3  -  £31.00

And some pictures!

NBW2 - Line infantry, firing

NBW3 - Line infantry, command

NBW10 - Avant Garde

NBW12 - Uhlans

NBW13 - 6pdr French guns with line crew

NBW15 - Duke of Brunswick and ADC

More releases to come soon!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Steve J

Lovely work 8). The Avant Garde are especially nice IMHO.

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Lovely sculpts*

I have always favoured (and gamed) the Brunswickers. Nice, small, self contained body of troops with a relatively simple colour scheme. There is also something quite romantic and dashing about their story ... and of course there is the "Black Brunswicker" by Millais.

*Of course, I shall have to find an alternative for the Avant Garde ... kneeling or firing poses only! No advancing!?  *Zut!*
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

old smokie

very nice  :-bd :-bd

QuoteMost units wore black uniforms, though some light units (such as sharpshooters and uhlans) wore green uniforms.

all the Brunswick troops in 1815 wore black uniforms with the exception of the two companies of Gelernte Jägers of the advanced guard who wore grey uniforms. If I remember correctly the Uhlans wore green in 1809

ErHo

Makes a guy want to buy and paint them even though he doesnt have anyone who wants to game historicals.   :'(
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

fsn

Does anyone have any sage advice for painting black uniforms?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

I saw one article which recommended adding light pink to black to create the highlight, rather than white. This was for 28mm figures mind you. Not tried it myself so no idea how it would work in 10mm. I have tried using a very dark blue for the highlight, rather than grey. Not bad, but tends not to be that noticeable once on the table top. Interested to hear what others think as these are tempting for use with Sharp Practice 2.

Leon

For 10mm figures, which generally need a lighter tone anyway, would you be better with a dark grey as your base colour (German Grey VAL995 or Black Grey VAL862) and then putting a black wash over the top of it to create shadow?  I've seen tutorials on bigger figures where they drybrush a dark grey over a black base instead.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

ErHo

Quote from: Leon on 08 December 2017, 03:42:36 PM
For 10mm figures, which generally need a lighter tone anyway, would you be better with a dark grey as your base colour (German Grey VAL995 or Black Grey VAL862) and then putting a black wash over the top of it to create shadow?  I've seen tutorials on bigger figures where they drybrush a dark grey over a black base instead.

This!!

Light gray and black wash, if its too light, hit it again with the wash.

FWIW Check out my necromancer's standing stone and robes, best example I have for 10mm, but it holds true on 28mm, you just have to exaggerate colors in 10mm.

"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Redstef

09 December 2017, 08:21:01 PM #13 Last Edit: 09 December 2017, 08:58:09 PM by Redstef
Fantastic scults  =D> and ones that edge me even closer to a 10mm Napoleonic project (only scale missing lol)
I am a little confused as to the composition of the Line command , Light Infantry and Avant Guard packs.
The Line carried two flags per Battalion meaning almost half of NBW3 are surplus to requirements unless the unit is over represented in officers and musicians.
The Light Battalions were around the same size as the Line yet these packs are only 16 figures and the Avant Guard standard is not needed at all as they didn't carry flags ( unless my reading is hideously out of date....which is possible)
Wouldn't a smaller Line command pack, with enough for the 3 Battalions and a pack of 30 for the Light Battalion code have been better ? I'm not sure there will be a noticeable difference in 10mm between Line and Light
but that only throws into question why there is a separate pack
Its not a huge problem as I'm sure we have all experienced how flexible the Pendraken team is in composing your order, just seemed an odd way of listing to me
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: Redstef on 09 December 2017, 08:21:01 PM
The Line carried two flags per Battalion meaning almost half of NBW3 are surplus to requirements unless the unit is over represented in officers and musicians.

I'll double check on that one, it rings a bell and the pack might contain double standards.  I'll check the mould on Monday.

The Light Battalions were around the same size as the Line yet these packs are only 16 figures.

That's more for continuity across our ranges rather than anything else, we've always done the lights in 16 man packs so we've continued it here.  Folks can buy more packs and ask us to send less command though, never a problem.

The Avant Guard standard is not needed at all as they didn't carry flags ( unless my reading is hideously out of date....which is possible)

I'll check our notes for the range on this, our big Naps customer put together the reference material for the sculptor and the standard could have been an 'optional' extra.  I think we had a similar case with one of the other Naps codes (Grenzers maybe?) but it's better to have one than not and if it's not needed you can leave it out.