Battleground Photos!

Started by Leon, 26 November 2017, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Techno

Links to a couple of excellent reports there, Roy.

Good man !  :)

Thanks - Phil.

Ithoriel

The link to my pics is the one that only works if we are friends on FB!

This one works for anyone

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155073607291398.1073741832.593771397&type=1&l=a5a6ad4cf0
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Nice ones. Mike.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Going by the comments in the various blogs, it looks like it was an absolutely, outstandingly well run and well received show!

Well done, Leon!  =D>

Well done also to all of the guys who got involved in its organisation and put on some great games.  :-bd

P.S. Just slightly confused, however.  :-[   I'm probably wrong here but I was under the impression that the sole organiser was Pendraken and so, when reading the reports of the show in the various blogs, assumed Pendraken's involvement would have been acknowledged more. Did I get that wrong?    :-/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Roy

28 November 2017, 03:48:17 PM #20 Last Edit: 28 November 2017, 03:50:32 PM by RoyWilliamson
Quote from: Westmarcher on 28 November 2017, 02:12:57 PM
P.S. Just slightly confused, however.  :-[   I'm probably wrong here but I was under the impression that the sole organiser was Pendraken and so, when reading the reports of the show in the various blogs, assumed Pendraken's involvement would have been acknowledged more. Did I get that wrong?    :-/

Somebody probably needs to say who the Battleground Show organisers / team / helpers are, tbh. Then there would be no confusion.

In the past, a Middlesbrough gaming club helped out on the day of the event - at least I can remember people in a club t-shirt working the doors - so I never knew who to accredit praise to, so thanked the 'show organisers'.

This year, on both Friday and Saturday, I was only aware of Leon and family (plus another gentleman, who I don't know the connection of to familia Pengilley or Pendraken) doing all the hard work, so again I just thanked the 'show organisers'. Could be wrong though.

However, the ladies in the cafe also did a great job and are worthy of praise. Also the sports hall staff who helped out with keeping things clean and tidy, plus shifting equipment and furniture and giving directions when asked. So they are equally worthy of praise, and can be  / should be included in the 'show staff' imo.

Another point could be that most show-goers don't actually know who organises the event. Probably aren't 10mm gamers and aren't familiar with Pendraken as a company. So just don't know of any connection - I can't remember if it's advertised as being brought to you by Pendraken Miniatures / Minibits - so that could be another reason why people just thank a collective show organising group.
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

Leon

We've got the Pendraken logo on all of the show signage and flyers etc so hopefully people make the connection!

As far as the team goes:

Me - I take care of the bulk of it, sorting the traders and games, dealing with the venue and table company, etc.  The other folks come in when it's time for the event itself:
Adele - My wife, was there on Friday to setup and Saturday working the show stand.
Dave - Pendraken Dave, was there on Friday to setup and Saturday working the show stand.
Stewart - Pendraken person who casts for us, helped with setup and close down and also worked the tabletop sale for us this year.
Jess - Pendraken person who does our packaging and other jobs, manned the door for most of the day and helped with close down.
Rachel - Pendraken person, works with Minibits doing laser machine and bases, was on the Pendraken stand most of the day and helped with close down.
Ian - Pendraken person and Eagle Figures, helped with setup on the Friday.

When we took over the show 5 years ago the Middlesbrough Gamers Club agreed to help out and run the Tabletop Sale, and for the first couple of years they had helpers there who we paid for their time.  The past few years they didn't have as many volunteers, just the Chairman really.  This year with the free entry we needed to maximise the income from the event so we ran the tabletop sale ourselves instead.

Then as Roy says there's a handful of venue staff who we get in to help with the tables, plus the cafe staff as well.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

At one of our local shows (one of two) the organisers all wear pink t-shirts with organiser written on the front and back, makes spotting an them very easy ;)

Perhaps Pendraken should do something similar with the Pendraken logo as well
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: paulr on 28 November 2017, 06:30:06 PM
At one of our local shows (one of two) the organisers all wear pink t-shirts with organiser written on the front and back, makes spotting an them very easy ;)

That's Leon's normal outfit though...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Quote from: Leon on 28 November 2017, 04:08:56 PM
We've got the Pendraken logo on all of the show signage and flyers etc so hopefully people make the connection!

As far as the team goes:

Me - I take care of the bulk of it, sorting the traders and games, dealing with the venue and table company, etc.  The other folks come in when it's time for the event itself:
Adele - My wife, was there on Friday to setup and Saturday working the show stand.
Dave - Pendraken Dave, was there on Friday to setup and Saturday working the show stand.
Stewart - Pendraken person who casts for us, helped with setup and close down and also worked the tabletop sale for us this year.
Jess - Pendraken person who does our packaging and other jobs, manned the door for most of the day and helped with close down.
Rachel - Pendraken person, works with Minibits doing laser machine and bases, was on the Pendraken stand most of the day and helped with close down.
Ian - Pendraken person and Eagle Figures, helped with setup on the Friday.

If Pendraken are committing that level of people to the show - which is pretty significant from a salary perspective. You really need to make sure you are covering those costs within the show.

In the other thread you mentioned that you are hoping for extra sales, and helping NE gaming. Don't forget to ensure that your own costs are covered too. Its good to help the local gaming scene, but there is helping and there is helping.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Roy

;D I just don't look, that's my problem.

Once walked into a practical examination for Arts, completely oblivious to the huge signs and cordon telling people not to enter. I got such a look from the teacher, who just couldn't believe somebody could be so blind to what was right in front of their face. Doh!  :-[

Leon

Quote from: fred. on 28 November 2017, 06:54:54 PM
If Pendraken are committing that level of people to the show - which is pretty significant from a salary perspective. You really need to make sure you are covering those costs within the show.

In the other thread you mentioned that you are hoping for extra sales, and helping NE gaming. Don't forget to ensure that your own costs are covered too. Its good to help the local gaming scene, but there is helping and there is helping.

The staff who help us out are covered in the show costings, it wouldn't be fair to expect them to give up their time for the event.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fred.

I had assumed they were being paid! But glad to here it is from the show's costs not Pendraken's pockets.

Leon

Quote from: fred. on 28 November 2017, 10:12:35 PM
I had assumed they were being paid! But glad to here it is from the show's costs not Pendraken's pockets.

:D

Westmarcher

There may be more but I could only find three mentions from the blog links above:

"Leon of Pendraken Games took over the running of the show .... I thought the lad couldn't get it any better, given there is only him and a bit of help I assume from a small group of friends."

"I was pleasantly surprised. The venue and organisation are excellent - due no doubt to the diligence and hard work of Leon Pengilly (from Pendraken/Minibits) who does the organising and associated donkey work that goes on behind the scenes ...... So well done to Leon and his team."

"Firstly we must say a real well done to Leon and the team at Pendraken for all the hard work put into making this a great event."

As you can see, only the last one made a specific connection with Pendraken as the business entity that organised the event. The first one connects the event to Leon of Pendraken and some pals, the second non-specific as to who made up "his team" (which could be interpretated as Leon doing this in his spare time?). With no-one else mentioning the Pendraken connection, this seems a shame considering the marketing kudos Pendraken as a business could and should have received for running this event.

Whilst the Pendraken logo on the signs for the demo games was a good idea, it looked a tad discreet (so discreet could some people have thought Pendraken only sponsored the signs?). Bottom line is, if running this next year, Leon, I urge you to blow Pendraken's trumpet more(!) and make sure your business gets more credit for such a successful and clearly enjoyable event. How you actually go about this, I leave to you. Personally, I wouldn't go as far as advertising next year's as, say, "Pendraken's Battleground" in line with the branding  of famous sporting competitions (might that lead people to believe it is solely a 10mm event? - I don''t know. Maybe not)). However, once the punters get in the door, I think you should do more to ensure the name, Pendraken Miniatures, is in their faces - so much that they leave the show with no doubt (including Williamson  :P ) about who organised and sponsored it. 

Once again, well done. Wish I could have been there.

A last quote on a demo game run by one of the above bloggers;

"The scale of the figures got a lot of comments as well, I think people were impressed by the mass effect of the 10mm."

:-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.