Battle of Mulroy (1688) with FKaP

Started by d_Guy, 23 November 2017, 05:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

Mulroy was a clan battle fought in 1688 between the MacDonalds of Keppoch and their allies and Clan Mackintosh and other members
of the Clan Chattan Association. It dealt with rival claims to the same land and was complicated by two to three hundred years of rivalry and general ill will amongst the participants.

I wanted to continue trying out the For King and Parliament draft rules in another atypical battle for the period as well as a few simple rule extensions for the Celtic Fringe.

The day before the battle, the Mackintosh force seized Keppoch House, with the Keppoch chief fleeing to the hills to gather his forces:

With the MacDonalds organizing their army on the ridge of Maol Ruadh (Mulroy), the Mackintosh army begins its slow, somewhat disorganized advance. On the right flank, Mackinzie's Independent Highland Company, ranges far ahead to begin sniping at the MacDonalds:

Mackinzie's IHC engages the MacDonalds of Keppoch, attempting to move them off the high ground:

By the end of turn eight both sides are heavily engaged. Although holding the tactically important upslope position, the MacDonalds are badly out-numbered and the Glengarry MacDonalds have yet to show up:

One of the rule extensions that I wanted to test was applying similar pursuit rules to Highlanders that are use for "Swedish" style horse in the draft rules. This proved rather realistic as units on both sides ended up pursuing broken enemy units and it became increasing difficult to maintain tactical control of the battle.

In the end the only coherent MacDonald unit was their Cameron of Lochiel allies, who mounted a staunch, but ultimately losing defense of Mulroy:

History again has been reversed.

I continue to find these rules to be a great deal of fun to play and clearly useable (even without the few adaptation I have made) to my specialized setting and solo play.

As always a full AAR (and many more pictures) can be found here:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2017/11/20/dias-naomh-andrea-the-battle-of-mulroy-1688-with-fkp/
Sleep with clean hands ...

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

The quarter rounds work well on the stepped hills :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Hmmm, not being allowed to view your Blog as coming up with an insecure site message :(. Anyone else getting this message?

mollinary

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

Not sure why it's not working this time as I've viewed the Blog before. The wonders of modern technology :'(

d_Guy

Thanks Paul,
I'm probably going to park on this terrain style until I make the jump to Kallistra (assuming hex rules get figured out and I budget for it for several months.  :D)

Steve,  I just ran an Independent SSL test on the blog and coming up without issues. Which browser are you using?

Steve J

23 November 2017, 09:22:40 PM #6 Last Edit: 23 November 2017, 09:25:00 PM by Steve J
Google Chrome. Just tried again and same response. Very frustrating as I've enjoyed your previous posts.

Hasn't worked with Microsoft Edge either.

Steve J

The plot thickens as i managed to access some older posts, but not the current one. Confused :-. Damned right I am!

d_Guy

Hmmm.
If you don't mind trying, put "In Red coat rags attired" in Google and use that link.
I have done credentially through google and that may sort it out.
Since you're getting the same result in too different browsers it's kind of strange. (otherwise clearing the buffer in the browser
Would make sense.)
The other common element is your ISP. That you can see older posts might suggest that the problem could be there.

It's a WordPress blog on a Wordpress Server so  I don't have alot of control.
Nor do I actually know much about the backend stuff for that matter.

fred.

Great looking game.

Quote from: paulr on 23 November 2017, 06:08:48 PM
The quarter rounds work well on the stepped hills :)

They do - they make the steps blend in much better.

Quote from: d_Guy on 23 November 2017, 09:57:41 PM
The other common element is your ISP. That you can see older posts might suggest that the problem could be there.

It's a WordPress blog on a Wordpress Server so  I don't have alot of control.

I've just tried going directly from Google and get no issues.
As you suggest it could be a filter at the ISP. And with it being a shared server sometimes other sites on the server can flag up issues, which then any other site on that server can end up being flagged against.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sunjester

d_Guy

Thanks again, gentlemen.

Yes the quarter rounds make a difference (and thanks again to Petercooman who first suggested them). For absolute ease of storage and maximum usability, the stepped hills solve a lot of problems. As Leman suggested (more or less) it sometimes good just to embrace the horror of it!  :)

Terry37

A really excellent looking game, table set up and figures. Certainly a favorite period for me, but I am more of a TYW fan as I like lots of guys in 3/4 armor riding around firing pistols!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams