What is the right name.......

Started by Techno, 23 November 2017, 03:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

For a full suit of plate armour/armor ?

I meant to ask this a couple of weeks ago when Von was doing a Saturday quiz puzzle in one of the papers.

I can find out the names of all the BITS/PARTS of a suit....(I even knew a handful of them, when I had a look around 'the net'.....)

But I've never heard of a name that encompasses the full suit.

I THINK Von reckoned it began with a T or an S. (Because of an answer she'd already got, in the quiz.)

Any ideas, Gang ?

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Chris Pringle

Sunray

23 November 2017, 04:17:32 PM #3 Last Edit: 23 November 2017, 04:27:49 PM by Sunray
Quote from: Techno on 23 November 2017, 03:58:46 PM
For a full suit of plate armour/armor ?

I meant to ask this a couple of weeks ago when Von was doing a Saturday quiz puzzle in one of the papers.

I can find out the names of all the BITS/PARTS of a suit....(I even knew a handful of them, when I had a look around 'the net'.....)

But I've never heard of a name that encompasses the full suit.

I THINK Von reckoned it began with a T or an S. (Because of an answer she'd already got, in the quiz.)

Any ideas, Gang ?

1st Prize a weekend on the mystic Isle of Rockhall

Cheers - Phil

On Antiques Road show I have heard a suit of armour referred by the French term  as a matching "GARNITURE" - which as a term can be applied to anything that matches.

In Olde English one gets reference to a "HARNESS of armour" , meaning a full suit.

Cheers

James

Techno

Thanks oodles guys.....

Hmmmmm.....

So much for the S or T  X_X ...... (I DID say "Look it up in the following week's quiz, Von"..... ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers muchly - Phil. (1st prize ?......Nice try, James..... ;D ;D ;D ;D......I think I'm leaning towards panoply.)

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 23 November 2017, 04:39:08 PM
Thanks oodles guys.....

Hmmmmm.....

So much for the S or T  X_X ...... (I DID say "Look it up in the following week's quiz, Von"..... ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers muchly - Phil. (1st prize ?......Nice try, James..... ;D ;D ;D ;D......I think I'm leaning towards panoply.)

Awe.  I can think of a few people I would send to Rockhall......... ;D

Leman

Full harness, panoply and suit of plate mail - I've heard all of these used to refer to plate armour.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sunray

Quote from: Sunray on 23 November 2017, 05:40:19 PM
Awe.  I can think of a few people I would send to Rockhall......... ;D

Or Rockall even ....must stop typing on the train - the light is wick

slugbalancer

My son & I were stuck on this clue as well.  You just reminded me to check out the answer.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sunjester

I would go for "Harness" as that is my understanding of the 15th/16th century term used in English.

FK, I think he meant it's an old term in English rather than a word in Old English (Anglo Saxon).

d_Guy

Dictionaries give "full set of armour" as one of the definitions for both panoply and harness.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

If you can look it up, Slugbalancer, that'd be great.

Von says she's just about certain it was seven letters long.....So it could be panoply OR harness. :-\

Bill's findings still mean it could be either.  ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

SV52

I'd use panoply (panoplia) for ancient Greek stuff.  Harness for European. Presumably it's where the expression to 'die in harness' comes from, meaning don't retire but 'die on the job' so to speak?
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Sunray

Quote from: sunjester on 23 November 2017, 11:07:56 PM
I would go for "Harness" as that is my understanding of the 15th/16th century term used in English.

FK, I think he meant it's an old term in English rather than a word in Old English (Anglo Saxon).

Quite- Plate armour was not around for the Anglo Saxons !  I have seen it used in  Olde English of the Tudor period. And in old Scots incunabula  to describe the armour of King James VI whose body was stripped of his Royal Harness at Flodden.   

Not sure if "to die in harness" is that old.  Words change with time, and this phrase may refer to the plough horse