54mm Ancient gaming

Started by DaveL, 21 November 2017, 09:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveL

Having seen the fantastic 54mm (well they're actually 60mm) figures by Expeditionary Force, I just had to buy some (even though, like all of us, I'd sworn NOT to start yet another project!!!!). I'm building an Alexandrian army and slowly adding the Persians.
Brilliant figured. If you haven't seen them, They're well worth a look.

And they've just started releasing 54mm Napoleonics. I just love the cavalry.

fred.

Madness.

It seems you are well and truly sucked in.

Just think how many lovely Pendraken 10mm cavalry you can get for the price of 1, just 1 huge 54mm cavalry man.

It'll be like playing with Britans soldiers on the carpet again. ACW vs knights
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

FierceKitty

Quote from: fred. on 21 November 2017, 10:24:45 PM

It'll be like playing with Britans soldiers on the carpet again. ACW vs knights.

Oh, God....Don't forget spring-loaded 25 pdr matchstick guns. And some never progress beyond that level, come to think of it.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DFlynSqrl

The figure size does limit the maneuver area for gaming but I do enjoy 54mm.  I have AWI and ACW in 54mm.  Last year at a convention several of us brought our 54mm ACW collections and played a "Big F**king Game".  There was about 500 figures in all.  Was quite the sight.

Terry37

At our local convention there is a vendor who sets up and also runs games in 54 MM. His set up and figures are a sight to behold. If I am am remembering correctly his company name is All the King's Men, but don't hold me to it.

It takes me long enough to paint 15 MM, so I don't even need to consider doing 54s. When I do paint one, it is about a good 30 hours of actual paint work to do one figure, and even for HOTT or DBN, I'd never get an army done!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

toxicpixie

Drat you, now I'm tempted! I've been considering getting my wee one some big Knights, she'd love 'em :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

DFlynSqrl

Quote from: Terry37 on 22 November 2017, 03:30:39 AM
At our local convention there is a vendor who sets up and also runs games in 54 MM. His set up and figures are a sight to behold. If I am am remembering correctly his company name is All the King's Men, but don't hold me to it.
Terry

Yes, that's Ken from All the King's Men.  Just about all my 54mm come from him.  His rules work really well for playing with figures that size.

DaveL

Quote from: toxicpixie on 22 November 2017, 08:26:41 AM
Drat you, now I'm tempted! I've been considering getting my wee one some big Knights, she'd love 'em :D

Expeditionary Force do some lovely knights!!!!    ;D

toxicpixie

Yeah, I was looking at that... Xmas is the perfect time to get some if it wasn't already so bloody expensive :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Golly, this is inspiring! I have an urge to find the shoebox that contains my eighty or so Britains. Highlanders against Guards. Maybe improvise a rubber band gun... :-\

I love this forum!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

toxicpixie

Oooo, that gives me an idea... the pickle has several "mini-nerf guns" off magazine covers and out of kids meal boxes, wonder if they've enough weight to knock off a 54mm figure?!

Now, anyone do them in tricorns...

Terry37

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams