Help me build an accurate Chickasaw/Choctaw Confederate army?

Started by ErHo, 21 November 2017, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErHo

I was made aware of the possibility of this in 10mm, so forgive me for not being a prolific wargamer(just Warband, d'Warhammers and D&D).   I know next to nothing about the Civil war, let alone native civil war history, ironically enough being in the center of it in Oklahoma and a Chickasaw native working for the tribe.

I live close to Fort Cobb(mom's hometown) Fort Sill, Boggy Depot and Fort Washita, with frequent visits to the latter a few times a year.  This is a big project for me, shooting for the stars kind of goal;
I want to create an accurate regiment for display, hopefully at Fort Washita in their fairly empty display cases.  I know the park ranger pretty well, if done proper I can get it in the museum(two room house onsite)

On to the meat of it, please correct me and make suggestions as you see fit(FierceKitty)

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okmurray/stories/chickasaw_civil_war.htm
Heres the main entry that I can find of actual regimental detail:
QuoteAt Cooper's call the First Regiment of the Chickasaws and Choctaws was formed with Tandy Walker, a Choctaw, second in command. The First Chickasaw Infantry Regiment was formed with Colonel William Hunter commanding. Shecoe's Chickasaw Battalion of Mounted Volunteers, sometimes called the "Chickasaw Battalion", was formed with Colonel Martin Shecoe commanding. Lt. Col. Lemuel Reynolds took command of the newly formed First Battalion of Chickasaw Cavalry.

Cooper ordered that a detachment of volunteers would be formed and drilled in each county of the two nations. However, Cooper didn't have the proper supplies and the individual soldier had to supply and equip himself as best as he could. When the Federals had withdrawn from Ft. Washita and Ft. Arbuckle in the Chickasaw Nation and Ft. Cobb in the leased district, they had left behind a vast quantity of military stores.

QuoteNow the under-equipped Chickasaw troops would put to good use the abandoned Federal supplies. But these supplies did not last more than a year until they were exhausted. By the end of the first year, the commander at Ft. Arbuckle reported that the Chickasaw Battalion was barefoot and malnourished. They were equipped with shotguns, "old pattern rifles" and Colt pistols. The situation became so bad for the troops at Ft. Arbuckle that some of them simply went home so they could get something to eat.

1861 the Chickasaw dissolved the treaty with the Union, and went rogue.

Ive often been told the Chickasaw didnt really have a uniform per se, but they didnt have fairly distinctive headgear like a turban almost, similar to what the Zouaves have I suppose, but the pants are too baggy?

I'm thinking the confederates in 10mm seem ok especially if they have brimmed hats mostly, but the bulk probably be from the mounted and dismounted Raiders selections, and dipping into the Plains wars range.

What ranges to use, and how to organize the regiment(s) is the big unknown for me, I dont know how many per squad or anything.

ANY help would be great!
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Leman

In 15mm I have been looking at US cavalry native scouts. Have a look at ZC12, Natal Natives, in the Zulu War range.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

ErHo

Those are nice!  Similar to the raiders.

Does anyone know if any of the 4 sculpts for mounted or dismounted Raiders have facial hair?
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

cardophillipo

Could you use some of the Plains Indians with head swaps?

FierceKitty

I did mine very much by the seat of my pants, and I'm confident you know far more about the indigenous cultures than I do! I used a few plains wars figures, mixed with Confeds in slouch hats. I was hoping to give some that distinctive Choctaw  "sailor suit" decoration around the neck, but the firing figures didn't show enough of that space to allow it.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Some pix from my limited researches.

FierceKitty

They look remarkably like many of the hill tribesmen from northern Thailand!

FierceKitty

Have to say, I'm not sure I trust the site which claimed these were Choctaw. They look very Lakota or Cheyenne to my eyes. Mind you, I have trouble persuading a lot of Thais that I'm an African.

Terry37

Sounds like a great project. If you need to have Indians with turbans that can easily be done without having to do a head swap. I've used it many times on 15, so the process shuld work for 10 MM.

To create a turban. I put some white acrylic paint on my pallet and let it start drying and thickening. Once it is fairly thick start painting it carefully where you want to create a turban (you may want to practice it first on an old figure). Let that section dry and keep adding layers until you have the look you want. When the last layer is well dried it's ready to paint in what ever color(s) you choose.

I have found that for what ever reason that white works the best. I have also found this to be very durable, and there si no filing or work to do as you create the folds and all as you are applying it.

Hope this helps,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Ace of Spades

Interesting project ErHo!
I just recently got the Osprey 'Warrior' number 105; 'Native American Mounted Rifleman 1861 - 1865'. I still have to start reading it but I think it will give you quite some interesting info.
Numbers is Always difficult. Designations like 'regiment' or 'battallion' don't really mean a lot and may still only account for a few hundred men. I'll see what I can find and get back to you on it. Will also search the rest of my library although I don't expect to find a whole lot...
On the 'Raider' figures; I painted these for the pendraken website though they're not on it yet... I have some pictures still but they're not very good; from what I can see and remember the mounted guy carrying the carbine has a full beard and with the dismounted figures the guy holding his gun level has some sort of a beard but i believe that's it. The man in the top hat could have some facial hair but it wouldn't be much.
I am planning a ACW skirmish game around Partisans and Bushwackers myself and was also thinking about doing some native troops. I was considering using some plains Indians for a head swop here and there to add the 'Native touch' but I haven't started anything yet. The standard Confederate Cavalry could be usefull too as they all wear hats and an assortment of weapons. There is some more facial hair on these figures though.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

I can't help with information, but it sounds like a fascinating project and one I am going to follow with interest.