Ottoman or Qajar Napoleonics

Started by cardophillipo, 21 November 2017, 01:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cardophillipo

Anybody ever done a 10mm Ottomans or Qajar army? Does anyone have any figure recommendations?

Cheers

Richard P

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Lots of the Renaissance stuff is usable
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

cardophillipo

Thanks mate ok for Ottoman it seems but no good for Qajar.

Cheers

Richard P

Natxo

You can use Turk infantry from Crimea for the qajar, but it will need a lot of work, lengthening the hats, and removing all the webbings and equipment

sultanbev

Converting figures isn't an option when you'd want 1800+ of the little perishers!

Ottoman and Persian napoleonics are high on my wish list for 10mm.
Out of the existing Pendraken ranges, the Janissaries and Sihlitar heavy cavalry are usable.
Some Afghan tribesmen in the NW frontier range, but they need to make the same with spears, as that was the most common weapon earlier.

Magister do some 10mm Ottoman Napoleonics, although it is very incomplete. £7 for 12 cavalry, humm.
Irregular have a generic muslim matchlockman, and Janissaries.
The trouble with using Dark age Arabs and Renaissance Turks for Napoleonics is that by this time they'd ditched shields in most cases, whereas a lot of Renaissance and dark age types all have shields.

How do we rig swing the vote to get Ottomans top of the 2019 list?

Mark

Leon

I think Napoleonic Ottomans would be unlikely to jump the queue and become a priority I'm afraid, it's more likely to be part of our ongoing expansion of the period.  Unless we can get a whole load of folks interested...?!  As we said previously on the 1809 allies, if the buying power is there then things can be approached as a standalone project rather than part of our usual sculpting schedule.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sultanbev

Indeed, you can't fight Ottomans without Russian cavalry.

There are multiple ways of introducing them.
One is to expand the 1790s Rev war range into Egypt 1798, which would allow you to bring in the rest of the French, earlier Brits, Arabs and Turks
The other is to add them to the 1812 range, as Napoleon had an easy time of it, given that 50,000 Russian troops were tied down fighting the Turks 1806-1812, and 100,000 tied fighting the Persians 1803-1813.
Part of a Napoleonic Turk range would then also be suitable for 18th century, (what if 7YW), 1739 war with Austria, 1770s wars with allsorts, you'd only need to add 18th Century Turk gunners.

But yes, an Ottoman range would be large, we're looking at 10 infantry types, 8 cavalry types, 2 gunner types. French Napoleonic guns and limbers would suffice though.

A Qajar Persian range on the other hand would be at least 3 infantry, 4 cavalry, 2 gunner types, camel guns, Congreve rockets.

I do have all the info needed if it ever took off as an idea.

Of course I'd also be interested in an even bigger range, the Wars in India 1780-1815: Marathas, Afghans, EIC x3, Goa, Mysore, Nepal, Tibet, Sikhs but we won't get into that......

Mark

Elliesdad

FWIW Lancashire Games do a nice range of 18mm scale 19th century Tibetans. Who could possibly resist an army with yak mounted infantry?

Of course, I'm unconvinced the Tibetan army is one that would suit competitive gamers. Still, they are such cute figures I may just have to get some (even if I'm not sure who the heck they would fight, as I don't envisage too much of a challenge when facing the British).

Geoff

sultanbev

Yes, I commissioned those Tibetans in 15mm and got loads in 18mm   =)

Hardly painted any though....

They fought the Nepalese quite regularly, whoo, Napoleonic Ghurkas, and just as hard then as they are now; and were a tributary of the Chinese, so in theory could fight the Chinese (yes I have a Chinese Napoloenic army   8)

The main problem with the Tibetans is that every battalion equivalent was only 250 men, so they form many but small units. Which is a bit hopeless against 800 man British/EIC battalions.

Mark

GrumpyOldMan

Quote from: sultanbev on 01 October 2018, 02:29:23 PM

But yes, an Ottoman range would be large, we're looking at 10 infantry types, 8 cavalry types, 2 gunner types. French Napoleonic guns and limbers would suffice though.

A Qajar Persian range on the other hand would be at least 3 infantry, 4 cavalry, 2 gunner types, camel guns, Congreve rockets.

Hello sultanbev

There's also the Irregular 10s, not much to look at but reasonable when painted and they do have cameleers with zambuk gun  :)

http://irregularminiatures.co.uk/indexes/10mmindex.htm

The rocketman could be converted to a shieldless spearman. There is a rocket launcher in the Mongol range.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Elliesdad

Quote from: sultanbev on 01 October 2018, 10:42:23 PM
Tibetans ... fought the Nepalese quite regularly, whoo, Napoleonic Ghurkas, and just as hard then as they are now; and were a tributary of the Chinese, so in theory could fight the Chinese (yes I have a Chinese Napoloenic army   8)

Mark

Nice one, Mark.

Napoleonic period Chinese...? Do tell more. I'm always interested in off-beat, non-mainstream armies / campaigns / wars.

Cheers,

Geoff

sultanbev

There are in effect three armies for a Chinese Napoloenic force:
The standard Banner forces, same as they were in the 17th century.
The Green Standard militia forces
The Guard Corps

army lists already written
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/94554/AS3N-Ching-Chinese-Banner-and-Mongol-Armies-17001880-China
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/94555/AS4N-Ching-Chinese-Green-Standard-and-Militia-Armies-17001880-China

You basically use Boxer Rebellion figures for a lot of the troop types, like a lot of oriental armies it's the hat that matters. I never got round to doing any of the Guard forces in 15mm, but got Banner troops (mostly Irregular) and lots of Green Standard infantry and cavalry from Lancashire Games and Old Glory I think.

Mark

FierceKitty

I used the Irregular Miniatures figures in large numbers in assembling my Mughal armies; they work pretty well, though IM are a bit flimsy about the ankles at times, and far more expensive than the competition (and their attention to order details isn't what it should be either).
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.