8 Days That Made Rome.... (with Bettany Hughes)

Started by Glorfindel, 19 November 2017, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

I only managed bits of episodes here and there. I must have caught all the fleshy bits and missed the fighting :D

Am I thinking of "Spartacus"? I barely got thru half an episode, the sepia tone filming and uncanny valley photography was a bit much!

Isn't the current "historical" highlight "Bromans", where a bunch of gym muscled beefcake accompanied by spray tanned beauties pretend to be gladiators in a contest of total Roman authentic "I'm a Strictly Bake Off Batchelor Looking for Love Got Talent Factor" proportions?  
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

mollinary

Quote from: toxicpixie on 22 November 2017, 01:42:38 PM
I only managed bits of episodes here and there. I must have caught all the fleshy bits and missed the fighting :D

What there was of the fighting was very well done, from Caesar in Gaul to Pharsalus and Philippi.

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

I particularly liked the centurions' use of the whistle to control the legionaries in the din of battle, although I'm not sure how authentic it was. I did enjoy Rome though; Spartacus however only grabbed my attention for half an episode.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 22 November 2017, 03:33:59 PM
Spartacus however only grabbed my attention for half an episode.

I only made a quarter - my wife less than 5 minutes.

The guy with the whistle wasn't a referee then?
Sleep with clean hands ...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Raider4

'Rome' was good (at least the first series - don't remember watching a second?).

'Rome: The Rise and Fall of and Empire' was a bit dull I thought, other than the Nero episode. Michael Sheen was good in that.

'Spartacus' is just rubbish, but strangely watchable, if only to see just how far they'll go. At least John Hannah and Lucy Lawless looked like they were enjoying themselves.

To get back to the OP, not seen the Bettany Hughes programme. I really don't like a documentary if it includes dramatized bits - they're generally rubbish and spoil it for me.

Simon Schama and his 'History of Britain' remain my highpoint for history programmes, although I 've seen few good things on BBC 4 recently.

Cheers, M.

Sandinista

Quote from: mollinary on 22 November 2017, 01:22:42 PM
made it clear that Rome was a strange and alien place, with weird and unfamiliar beliefs and practices, and not merely Surbiton in fancy dress.

I lived in Surbiton for 15 years, it's pretty weird. Bedsits and brothels with a growing number of Hipster types.

cheers
Ian

Orcs

I could watch this just for the lovely curvaceous Bettany Hughes

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Glorfindel

>>I could watch this just for the lovely curvaceous Bettany Hughes

Amen...

Leman

Not really my type. I prefer the goth historian.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 24 December 2017, 01:31:17 PM
Not really my type. I prefer the goth historian.

Yes she is quite lovely too!

Dr Jana Ramirez

Dr Kate Williams

Dr Alice Roberts

And Mrs Orcs wonders why I like history Documentaries  :D :D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021