Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
17 December 2017, 04:11:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We're now stocking a range of Spray Varnishes which are available at all the UK shows.
245139 Posts in 14865 Topics by 2068 Members
Latest Member: Rubbsalot
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: mad lemmey, Techno)
| | |-+  8 Days That Made Rome.... (with Bettany Hughes)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 8 Days That Made Rome.... (with Bettany Hughes)  (Read 1520 times)
toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #30 on: 22 November 2017, 01:42:38 PM »

I only managed bits of episodes here and there. I must have caught all the fleshy bits and missed the fighting Cheesy

Am I thinking of "Spartacus"? I barely got thru half an episode, the sepia tone filming and uncanny valley photography was a bit much!

Isn't the current "historical" highlight "Bromans", where a bunch of gym muscled beefcake accompanied by spray tanned beauties pretend to be gladiators in a contest of total Roman authentic "I'm a Strictly Bake Off Batchelor Looking for Love Got Talent Factor" proportions?  

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting
mollinary
Brigadier

« Reply #31 on: 22 November 2017, 02:17:14 PM »

I only managed bits of episodes here and there. I must have caught all the fleshy bits and missed the fighting Cheesy

What there was of the fighting was very well done, from Caesar in Gaul to Pharsalus and Philippi.

Leman
General

« Reply #32 on: 22 November 2017, 03:33:59 PM »

I particularly liked the centurions' use of the whistle to control the legionaries in the din of battle, although I'm not sure how authentic it was. I did enjoy Rome though; Spartacus however only grabbed my attention for half an episode.

The artist formally known as Dour Puritan!
d_Guy
Brigadier

« Reply #33 on: 22 November 2017, 05:12:39 PM »

Spartacus however only grabbed my attention for half an episode.

I only made a quarter - my wife less than 5 minutes.

The guy with the whistle wasn’t a referee then?

http://inredcoatragsattired.com
https://leadenshipsandtinmen.com
"Now I have become Trite, the destroyer of threads"
mad lemmey
Field Marshal

« Reply #34 on: 22 November 2017, 05:22:55 PM »

Plebs is good too!  Wink

Is it time I had a signature? Everyone else does.

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
Raider4
Captain

« Reply #35 on: 22 November 2017, 08:06:44 PM »

'Rome' was good (at least the first series - don't remember watching a second?).

'Rome: The Rise and Fall of and Empire' was a bit dull I thought, other than the Nero episode. Michael Sheen was good in that.

'Spartacus' is just rubbish, but strangely watchable, if only to see just how far they'll go. At least John Hannah and Lucy Lawless looked like they were enjoying themselves.

To get back to the OP, not seen the Bettany Hughes programme. I really don't like a documentary if it includes dramatized bits - they're generally rubbish and spoil it for me.

Simon Schama and his 'History of Britain' remain my highpoint for history programmes, although I 've seen few good things on BBC 4 recently.

Cheers, M.
Sandinista
Brigadier

« Reply #36 on: 23 November 2017, 12:12:33 AM »

made it clear that Rome was a strange and alien place, with weird and unfamiliar beliefs and practices, and not merely Surbiton in fancy dress.

I lived in Surbiton for 15 years, it's pretty weird. Bedsits and brothels with a growing number of Hipster types.

cheers
Ian

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: