Which one do I pick - Napoleonics

Started by MAgamer, 19 November 2017, 09:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MAgamer

Hello everyone!
Here is my question for you lovely people:

If the only two choices you had for playing Napoleonic wargames was either General D'armee or General de Brigade deluxe which would you choose to play given the following restrictions. . . ?
1. The forces: Around 2 infantry brigades per side. Either 1 full Cavalry Brigade OR smaller Cavalry attachment. 1 Artillery attachment.
2. 10mm (obviously) figures with no opportunity for figure removal.
3. 6x3 table- the size of my current table, it seems such a waste of time and money to build boards just to add an extra 6" each side of the long table edge. We think we will simply state where the off table battalions are if the entire Brigade isn't able to appear on table and depth is too much of an issue.

Thanks for your advice and thoughts, if you really think that the two choices offered are poor in terms of my requirements then feel free to suggest others. Some rules I have no interest in however are: Black Powder, Napoleon at War, Shako.
Thanks for any suggestions and help, I would like to avoid having to buy too many more rulesets before I can get a decent time period of gaming with one set. I have March Attack, Elan and Lasalle already.
All the best,
MA

petercooman

Can't comment on the rulesets, have none of the ones you mention.

I can comment on the table size though. My table is about 8' x 3'6". I sometimes just put the units along the edges and just make their first move from there. Works fine, and gives you more table space. Ww2 troops regularly start off the board in my games, and this no problem. This even adds an extra element of strategy in (what sometimes is a pretty boring) first turn.

Dr Dave

I played in a refight of Waterloo several years ago and that put me off General de Brigade completely. Best avoided if you ask me. We now play and love Naps using one of the rule sets on your "no" list. But I'd never play gemeral de brigade again.

petercooman

Should have mentioned i play with 'napoleonic wargaming' by Neil Thomas.

Leman

If I ever play Napoleonic it is likely to be using BBB. I've never come across a set of specific Napoleonic rules that have encouraged me to get into the period.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: petercooman on 19 November 2017, 02:45:11 PM

Should have mentioned i play with 'napoleonic wargaming' by Neil Thomas.

So do I.
My Ego forbids a signature.

petercooman

MAgamer

Thanks for the replies everyone!
DrDave I'd love to know more- what put you off so much if you don't mind me asking?
I will happily take a look at napoleonic wargaming, I haven't come across it before.
Cheers
MA

Leman

Cheers for that Jim. cheap enough to give it a look and see whether I should persevere with my 6mm Naps.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Leman on 19 November 2017, 07:09:14 PM

Cheers for that Jim. cheap enough to give it a look and see whether I should persevere with my 6mm Naps.

Make sure you read the book before you read the rules. There are some concepts in them which don't make sense if you just read the rules.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Dr Dave

Quote from: MAgamer on 19 November 2017, 06:36:00 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!
DrDave I'd love to know more- what put you off so much if you don't mind me asking?
I will happily take a look at napoleonic wargaming, I haven't come across it before.
Cheers
MA

Too complex and paper work required. The command and control system is the old style "brigade on hold orders so no one can move" type concept from the 70s. The author (Dave Brown) wrote several nonsensical articles in the mainstream magazines when the rules came out and that didn't help much. Just too clunky and no fun. He had some clever ideas on skirmishers I seem to recall, particularly when they want to reform. Otherwise I think he's about as pro-French as a chap can get without reeking of garlic and confusing onions for jewelry!

Leman

Ah! mon Dieu, at least you did not deride my fashionable Breton sweater and beret, nor my economically efficient bicyclette monsieur!

ronan

Quote from: MAgamer on 19 November 2017, 09:42:34 AM
(...) feel free to suggest others.
(...)

my two cents :
I really like Song of Drums and Shakos.

petercooman

Quote from: ronan on 19 November 2017, 09:16:39 PM
my two cents :
I really like Song of Drums and Shakos.

Wich one? the regular or the big battle one? (asking because i'm interested in the skirmish one)