War of Northern Aggression campaign has begun.

Started by FierceKitty, 19 November 2017, 07:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Ta. I fear they're a bit less polished at close quarters!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Thanks for all the pics, Kitty. Enjoyed seeing how you handled the scope of the ACW.

Random thoughts and questions:

So your wife is now "Unconditional surrender" Lee?

The campaign WAS actually fought in the Badlands of South Dakota? Sweet!  Lakota playing the part of Chocktaw?

Getting the Virginia up the Mississippi/Missouri must have been epic, is some sort of "Back of Beyond" epic in the offing?

Glad you balanced the Union baggage train with an equally "offensive" vignette piece, cleverly done.

Great balloons. I have been working (off and on) on something similar using ping pong balls as well. It may be in your balloon thread but what is holding them up? Did you need to add additional weight to the base?

Take as long as you like in answering the questions.
Sleep with clean hands ...

FierceKitty

20 November 2017, 02:08:29 PM #17 Last Edit: 20 November 2017, 02:12:54 PM by FierceKitty
The balloons are resting on rigid wires attached to the baskets, painted to look like cables. The baskets themselves are on clear plastic rods, originally purchased for WWI dogfights; I had a few to spare.

The campaign element is little but a five page set of rules linking successive battles and making advances or retreats (literally one-dimensional) significant in available recruits and in the location of the next battle (until one is advancing on Washington or Richmond). I was so dismally trounced, however, that I'd have retreated to Buenos Aires before I'd have had time to raise another army. So don't look too hard for history or geography; you'll strain your eyes and won't find them.

FierceKitty

Oh, and the bases are indeed weighted with some worthless coins that really couldn't purchase the metal used to make them.

ErHo

Very cool!

I work for the Chickasaw and Choctaw nations here in Oklahoma, its nice to see our homeboys on the field in another continent!
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

d_Guy

Thanks Kitty.

@ ErHo.  :)
I think that there was still a Mississippi (maybe Tennessee?) crew that sided with the Confederacy. Although I think the Oklahoma group did so as well.

ErHo

Quote from: d_Guy on 21 November 2017, 03:08:12 PM
Thanks Kitty.

@ ErHo.  :)
I think that there was still a Mississippi (maybe Tennessee?) crew that sided with the Confederacy. Although I think the Oklahoma group did so as well.

Mississippi, Arkansas and Tennessee are the homelands before the Trail of Tears when they moved us and a couple other tribes to Oklahoma and Kansas.    The Chickasaw and Choctaw(brothers with followers) were the same people called the Chickemicaws having parted ways after the end of our migration period going east across the Mississippi river long before De Soto showed up.

Both tribes were definitely confederate, and bullied neighboring tribes having been westernized more so than the new land's occupants.  There are some interesting discussions lately in the light of the removal of Confederate statues trend, the Chickasaw tribal facilities have several monuments to slave owners/confederate aligned tribal leaders.

Anyway!   Great game!  I didnt expect to see them on a table, I think I may have to start up an army of native confederates!

"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

d_Guy

Thanks, ErHo was basing my conjecture mainly on the Choctaw Ridge in "Ode to Billy Joe"  :D

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Quote from: d_Guy on 21 November 2017, 05:32:05 PM
Thanks, ErHo was basing my conjecture mainly on the Choctaw Ridge in "Ode to Billy Joe"  :D

In-depth research then ;) ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Westmarcher on 21 November 2017, 06:36:56 PM
The balloons turned out well.  :-bd

Yeah, they look pretty good.  Glad the hair nets worked   8)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

FierceKitty

d_Guy

FierceKitty

Rematch today. No more Mr Nice Guy, as we say in N'Yawlins.

FierceKitty

Ahhhh, that's better. Pass me a mint julep, sir.