Seeking advice - modelling a balloon

Started by FierceKitty, 15 November 2017, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

15 November 2017, 11:10:38 AM Last Edit: 15 November 2017, 11:13:18 AM by FierceKitty

Final aim is a model balloon, suitable for 1860s. The balloon is to be a ping pong ball, suitably embellished, with a basket dangling beneath it. The basket will be attached by four or so wires, which will be painted to suggest ropes. With me so far?

In reality, of course, there is a net over such a balloon, and the ropes will be attached to it. The net is the problem. I have suitable material (the bags they sell garlic in at the supermarket), but how does one get it to fit over a sphere convincingly, without hopelessly unconvincing folds and overlaps? A flat surface, as every cartographer knows, cannot be flattened without tearing....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

All I can think of is cutting out a large circle and trying it.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Ends up with hopelessly unconvincing folds. You know the problem with maps - how distances or proportions cannot avoid distortion, because you can't model a sphere in 2D?

O Dinas Powys

Try a bun net for hair, they're available in a variety of sizes, thicknesses and colours so it would be easier to match to a natural rope colour.  They're also a lot more flexible than the mesh tubes used for garlic *AND* are quasi-spherical in shape.

The rope to basket section would be a bit more tricky, but I'd imagine you'd have to model the basket onto a flight stand attached to the ping-pong ball for strength anyway?  You might be able to carefully snip the mesh to leave single strands to attach to the basket - and any loose threads could be pulled round the long strands and PVA'd to hide them and give thicker ropes.

I seem to recall seeing something like thick piano wire modelled as rope attached between the basket and a winch on the ground in 25mm for a flight stand, how are you modelling this?

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Dr Dave

I made the ACW 15mm Balloon in the Warlord ACW supplement "Glory, Hallelujah!".

I used a plastic white "net" that previously had tangerines in it. The net I had is quite "stretchy". Avoid the string type nets - go plastic and fine... oh and paint the balloon before you put the net on!

I "clumped" all the top loops together at the top and pushed a drawing pins into the polystyrene sphere at top and bottom - that gathered the loops AND help them in place. I used 2 wire loops to disguise the edges of the pins so that it looked like a proper net bag. Then paint to seal with thinned PVA. I then used 4 wires to take the basket underneath. NOT - those wires were thin so the balloon is tethered to the base by 4 more wire (ropes?) that pierce the balloon at the bottom wire loop / drawing pin. Don't tether to the basket - it'll be too weak.

Good Luck!  ;)

FierceKitty

15 November 2017, 01:45:27 PM #5 Last Edit: 15 November 2017, 01:47:35 PM by FierceKitty
I'm pretty sure I can manage the rest with wire and bits of plastic biro-case and a bit of epoxy glue, but the net is the challenge. The bun net is an interesting idea. My wife's suggested hooker-type fishnet stockings, which might also be an idea.

I've painted the first balloon already. Interested to learn that at least one in the Yankee airforce had a huge George Washington head on a blue background. For a flight stand I'll make something like the clear acrylic rods with a hole bored in the top which I already use for my WW I aircraft; they've been working well enough for dogfights. Might just skip the winch - haven't thought that far yet.

Thanks for suggestions, people.

Orcs

I would ignore the net completely in this scale. Look at the picture of Irregular miniatures 6mm ACW balloon in the link below

http://www.irregularminiatures.co.uk/images6/6mmACW22.jpg

This looks fine without the net, you could just have some ropes going over the balloon, giving the impression that something is there. A wash of a darker shade of paint on the top half would also add to this effect.

You could then give the fishnet stockings to your wife :d
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

My imagination boggles. When she wears clothes, she's a tee-shirt and jeans kind of tomboy.

If I can't get the net done, I may go the route you suggest.

FierceKitty

Got a hairnet; I think it may work. Pix, in the fullness of time.

Westmarcher

Before you start, I'm finding it hard to gauge whether or not a ping-pong ball (40mm diameter) is too small for 10mm scale(?). My impression is that it may be better for 6mm - in which case, why just not buy the irregular miniatures one? - but then you wouldn't have the fun of building your own. Good luck, anyway, FK.

[link from Civil War Trust]
https://www.civilwar.org/learn/articles/civil-war-ballooning 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

A ping-pong ball is much lighter, so easier to keep upright. And we're starting the campaign tomorrow. Which aside, I don't like large, heavy metal models, which seem to lose paint fast, and the last two IM orders I placed never arrived. :(

DHautpol

05 December 2017, 04:19:45 PM #11 Last Edit: 05 December 2017, 04:21:34 PM by DHautpol
The London modelling shop 4D, just off Leman Street E1, sells expanded polystyrene spheres in sizes from 25mm to 120mm; one of these might give you a more realistically sized 'balloon' without too much weight.

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/Polystyrene-spheres-120mm/ITM5551

I'm sure similar shops must exist outside London and 4D offer a mail order service.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Thanks,DHautpol, that is a useful alternative.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Terry37

Consider using a hair net which is softer and more pliable which may negate the problem.

Teryf
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

FierceKitty