Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
19 November 2017, 05:54:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
The last two Warband armies are now available with both the Eldritch Vampires and Samurai Apes released!
243751 Posts in 14788 Topics by 2064 Members
Latest Member: William W
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Non-Wargaming Discussion
| |-+  Chat & News
| | |-+  To the Green Fields Beyond
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: To the Green Fields Beyond  (Read 242 times)
T13A
Lieutenant

« on: 14 November 2017, 03:27:47 PM »

Hi

Sunday 19 November, 8pm, Channel Four, Guy Martin Builds a WWI tank.

Monday 20 November, 100 years since the battle of Cambrai.

Fearnaught

T13A, Out.
« Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 04:19:02 PM by T13A » Logged
Steve J
Lieutenant General

« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2017, 06:49:20 PM »

Could be worth watching.

Leman
General

« Reply #2 on: 15 November 2017, 07:46:13 AM »

Since I found out about how the BBC messed around with historic timelines to make an episode of "Who do you think you are" more exciting, I'm a bit dubious about their factual output.

The artist formally known as Dour Puritan!
mollinary
Brigadier

« Reply #3 on: 15 November 2017, 11:55:24 AM »

Since I found out about how the BBC messed around with historic timelines to make an episode of "Who do you think you are" more exciting, I'm a bit dubious about their factual output.

Huh?
toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #4 on: 15 November 2017, 12:17:23 PM »

Ahhh, you've seen their News & Current Affairs output then Cheesy

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting
cameronian
Colonel

« Reply #5 on: 15 November 2017, 02:20:47 PM »

Believe nothing the BBC say, nothing.

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.
ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #6 on: 15 November 2017, 03:08:13 PM »

So FOX News is absolutely accurate ?

IanS

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY
toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #7 on: 15 November 2017, 03:11:34 PM »

They just have a stronger slant on the same mistruths and bias Wink

At least until we privatise the Beeb fully and hand it to Murdoch, at which point they'll probably sack most of the staff of both and just run the same articles directly!

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting
Leman
General

« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

Re Ian above:
Unlikely, but to mess with the facts about what happened to someone's relative for the sake of entertainment seems pointless to me.

toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #9 on: 15 November 2017, 03:14:37 PM »

Ahhh but that's traditional in the media, of any era!

See poor old Private Hook, or Hitler's testicle, or the EVIL HUN CRUCIFYING NUNS! That covers the last hundred years, anyone want to chuck in a few examples from before Cheesy

We shan't mention Richard III and the horrible Tudor hatchet job Wink

Leman
General

« Reply #10 on: 15 November 2017, 03:19:10 PM »

I'm aware of all that, but it was mostly done for propaganda. I'm just puzzled about changing an individual's personal history because........ Why not just make a fictional drama instead? What exactly is the point of Who do you think you are if they are willing to do this?

toxicpixie
Major General

« Reply #11 on: 15 November 2017, 03:49:15 PM »

Sex the lot up for excitement. It's the same base cause, get a bit of tension in even when there isn't any.

mollinary
Brigadier

« Reply #12 on: 15 November 2017, 05:06:34 PM »

I'm aware of all that, but it was mostly done for propaganda. I'm just puzzled about changing an individual's personal history because........ Why not just make a fictional drama instead? What exactly is the point of Who do you think you are if they are willing to do this?

Sorry Leman, I entirely agree with the point you are making, but am entirely unaware of the story to which you are referring. Could you possibly share the details?

Mollinary
Leman
General

« Reply #13 on: 15 November 2017, 05:25:36 PM »

In one of the shows a woman's relative (uncle or father) was depicted as being in the 8th Army in Italy, being thrown in at the deep end after only a few weeks training. When the ex-army consultant explained to the production team that the soldier's records clearly showed that he had joined up months before, had gone through both the N.Africa campaign and Sicily and then ended up in mainland Italy, he was told thank you very much but our version makes much better television.

mad lemmey
Field Marshal

« Reply #14 on: 15 November 2017, 05:38:15 PM »

Ahem, letís drop the politics gents.

Is it time I had a signature? Everyone else does.

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: