To the Green Fields Beyond

Started by T13A, 14 November 2017, 03:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

14 November 2017, 03:27:47 PM Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 04:19:02 PM by T13A
Hi

Sunday 19 November, 8pm, Channel Four, Guy Martin Builds a WWI tank.

Monday 20 November, 100 years since the battle of Cambrai.

Fearnaught

T13A, Out.
T13A Out!

Steve J

Leman

Since I found out about how the BBC messed around with historic timelines to make an episode of "Who do you think you are" more exciting, I'm a bit dubious about their factual output.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 15 November 2017, 07:46:13 AM
Since I found out about how the BBC messed around with historic timelines to make an episode of "Who do you think you are" more exciting, I'm a bit dubious about their factual output.

???
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Quote from: Leman on 15 November 2017, 07:46:13 AM

Ahhh, you've seen their News & Current Affairs output then :D

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

cameronian

Believe nothing the BBC say, nothing.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

So FOX News is absolutely accurate ?

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

They just have a stronger slant on the same mistruths and bias ;)

At least until we privatise the Beeb fully and hand it to Murdoch, at which point they'll probably sack most of the staff of both and just run the same articles directly!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Re Ian above:
Unlikely, but to mess with the facts about what happened to someone's relative for the sake of entertainment seems pointless to me.

toxicpixie

Ahhh but that's traditional in the media, of any era!

See poor old Private Hook, or Hitler's testicle, or the EVIL HUN CRUCIFYING NUNS! That covers the last hundred years, anyone want to chuck in a few examples from before :D

We shan't mention Richard III and the horrible Tudor hatchet job ;)

Leman

I'm aware of all that, but it was mostly done for propaganda. I'm just puzzled about changing an individual's personal history because........ Why not just make a fictional drama instead? What exactly is the point of Who do you think you are if they are willing to do this?

toxicpixie

Sex the lot up for excitement. It's the same base cause, get a bit of tension in even when there isn't any.

mollinary

Quote from: Leman on 15 November 2017, 03:19:10 PM
I'm aware of all that, but it was mostly done for propaganda. I'm just puzzled about changing an individual's personal history because........ Why not just make a fictional drama instead? What exactly is the point of Who do you think you are if they are willing to do this?

Sorry Leman, I entirely agree with the point you are making, but am entirely unaware of the story to which you are referring. Could you possibly share the details?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Leman

In one of the shows a woman's relative (uncle or father) was depicted as being in the 8th Army in Italy, being thrown in at the deep end after only a few weeks training. When the ex-army consultant explained to the production team that the soldier's records clearly showed that he had joined up months before, had gone through both the N.Africa campaign and Sicily and then ended up in mainland Italy, he was told thank you very much but our version makes much better television.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ahem, let's drop the politics gents.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner