Sometimes Slightly Baffled by Pack Contents

Started by Westmarcher, 12 November 2017, 01:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Sometimes I find myself slightly baffled by the contents of some packs of miniatures. Three examples:

Example 1: LOA38 from Pendraken's wonderful League of Augsburg range, Dismounted Command Group.  This has one horse and three men on foot.

http://pendraken.co.uk/news/2017-10-31/new-loa-and-wss-releases/

Where are the other two guys' horses? At best, I suppose you could say the guy holding the horse and one of the other guys were already there on foot when the general officer rode up. But then why was the general riding around on the battlefield on his own? I would have liked the horse holder to have more horses to hold. 

Example 2: To include extra horses, perhaps I could try using the horses from MAL22, Horse Holder with Horse (5 pairs), but then that just begs the question, why are 5 guys dismounted holding their own horses? Shouldn't they be looking after other guys' horses as well as their own? In other words, would it not be more useful to have more horses than horse holders in the pack? Of course, there's nothing to stop me arranging for one horse holder to hold more than one horse but that would leave me with spare horse holders with no horse(s) to hold.* 

Example 3: To illustrate that this "feedback" applies to most (if not all) manufacturers and not only our esteemed Pendraken, here's an example from Peter Pig's 15mm ACW range. Every artillery crew pack has 8 figures in four poses ... that is except for "27. Naval Gun Crew" which has 8 figures in only three poses.  In the pack, I find I have three guys with sponges and three doing a Marcel Marceau impression (I think they're pushing ..... something). Why not four different poses like the field artillery packs? I had hoped it would be a simple matter to paint two four man crews, one for each side, to man my one Dahlgren Naval Gun but now I feel I have to try and come up with something more "inventive."   ~X(

Can anyone else think of examples of pack contents that leaves them "slighty baffled?'   :-\

* I suppose I could use them to attend to limbers and supply wagons instead of the 'Farmer Giles' figure with the whip ... but that would leave me with spare 'Farmer Giles' figures ..... which I suppose I could use with the farm animals in SCN-NML1,2,3,4 etc. ..... Heh!  Now I'm beginning to see Pendraken's cunning plan!  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

You should fashion a little stirrup cup into the hands of the other four horse holders. The Russo-Japanese War artillery packs have limbers which are unlikely to be used, but not enough crewmen for the guns.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

petercooman

12 November 2017, 04:39:34 PM #4 Last Edit: 12 November 2017, 04:50:00 PM by petercooman
There is a pack of only horses in the acw range I think. That's what I used for my dismounted cavalry

Edit: ACW35 standing horses

d_Guy

Re: LOA38. The other two horses are off stage - uh - "frolicking".

I bought several (and plan to buy more) because one simply can not have too many gentlemen peering through spy glasses.

FI13 - 29 woodland Indians with a musket and 1 with a war club (although Leon was kind enough to swap-in several with clubs).

Sleep with clean hands ...