Modern naval "toy" set

Started by Sunray, 09 November 2017, 04:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

09 November 2017, 04:42:34 PM Last Edit: 09 November 2017, 04:48:49 PM by Sunray
Yes, its a toy set.  Two modern warships in a "fit the box" scale but ................

1.  Between  1/300 - 1/400 and with a little work will pass for 1/300

2.  Cheap - £12 at a Scottish market stall. (He was looking £15)  8) 8)

3. They are very well detailed - need to be waterlined  Eight small 1/400 or there abouts aircraft included.  Plastic helicopter rotors could be useful when filed down.
   The 5inch gun, Vulcan Phalanx,  A/S missiles, radar and satellite dishes   are close to 1/300 - the  Seahawk  is smaller - about 1/400 ?

So what do  we have ?  The cruiser seems to be based generically on the USS Ticonderoga class.
The aircraft carrier is loosely based on Kitty Hawk class but condensed in size.  With work it would pass as a smaller 1/300 Iowa Jima assault vessel.   In 1/300 I have a small card table with 2ft x 2ft sea board that can sit offshore the game board.

The small scale will work well with H&R and old ole boy Andy Kirk has a shed full of decent models that will make it  passable 1/300 ship(s)

You can view them www,toyrific.co.uk/tu5424-attack-force-navy-play-set.html    :-bd :-bd

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Sunray

Thanks for a working link.  yes- good value in Scotland !

Raider4

Aye, looks good.

I love the bit of blurb that states "More in the Attack Force range!". Except when you search for the rest of the range . . . zilch.

"Complete with four different aircrafts"

"With realistic lights and sounds" - wonder what realistic sounds they have for an aircraft carrier and missile destroyer?

Cheers, M.
--

Sunray

Quote from: Raider4 on 09 November 2017, 05:24:04 PM
Aye, looks good.

I love the bit of blurb that states "More in the Attack Force range!". Except when you search for the rest of the range . . . zilch.

"Complete with four different aircrafts"

"With realistic lights and sounds" - wonder what realistic sounds they have for an aircraft carrier and missile destroyer?

Cheers, M.

yeah, don't get too excited. The lights are two small bulbs and the sounds are a police siren and what is meant to be gunfire. 

Perhaps the range (sic) will be expanded ??

But as said above - under £15 with a lot of conversion potential.   I am just completing a scratch built 1/144 carrier. The presence of offshore ships allows the land based player to "return the serve".
--

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Heedless Horseman

In my long ago youth, I once staged a solo seaborne invasion in an imaginary '70's 'modern' scenario. 1/285 NATO v Warsaw Pact stuff backed up by WW2 'reserves'.
Naval Gunfire support and imagined AA was provided by a couple of diecast Dinky (I think!) frigates(?)...not too bad as 'Amazon'ish' corvettes.   :)
Matchbox hovercraft...though out of scale. LST's were Airfix pontoons from Bailey bridge sets.
Great fun! Beacheads, radar station, an airfield and a town to take or flatten with Phantoms/Harriers! Fleet of Hueycobra's being taken on by Mustangs! T62's/T34's/JSII's v M60's/Centurions/Shermans/Churchills. Not much infantry though...no point, except to launch ATGM...the rules were WRG!  ;)
All played on Subuteo Table Football cloths and felt sheets on large lounge floor! (Furniture shifted...cats/dogs banned and tread CAREFULLY!). Ma was at work!  :d  Managed to play to completion and put all back before return. VERY bloody win for 'western' invaders...both sides almost annihilated!   =)
Ah...those terrible teens!  ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Sunray

But you had fun! 

Got the warship out of the box/packing  -  it is in fact  based on a Burke class - which means it is closer to 1/300

I don't do a lot of naval war games, but they make great eye candy and off short bombardment is part of modern warfare, when the proximity of deep water makes it possible.  Falklands is a prime example.

toxicpixie

There's been very similar sets surface in Asda/Tesco's - I've nearly got a 1/300ish carrier and battleship a couple of times, but they're always just slightly too toy like. Those look much better! Might even be cheaper :D

Good stuff, look forward to seeing the end result.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sunray

14 November 2017, 10:33:58 AM #9 Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 10:39:15 AM by Sunray
Getting there slowly.  I have a few bits and bobs in the spares box - part of a 1/400 scale Hellier carrier that might make a smaller "island" for control/bridge/smoke stack.

I have also got hack through the very  thick plastic to create water line.  :(

However its on the back burner as I have two 1950s Bush war armies to create for a Christmas game.  Some of Phil's excellent Arrowhead WW2 Brits matched with Phil's Falklands Brits to create a post war Battle Group with a Dutch East Indies flavour.  American cammo and ......possibly Ram tanks with a 75mm gun. (They served the Dutch until replaced with Centurions)

The Kembala Special Constabulary - Pendraken WW1 Americans/BEF are now painted up in light blue shirts and tropical khaki trousers.

The other force will also be British based, but in a yellow shade of Egyptian 1948 Khaki.  

The idea is that a lot of this kit will transfer to Korea - when those figures arrive at the front.

Now must get that Christmas order into Leon/Dave  :-bd