Saxons 1866

Started by KTravlos, 04 November 2017, 09:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTravlos

So I started my long road to the project that will end with a 10mm rendition of the battle of Konningratz as interpreted by the BBB sceanrio by Chris Pringle. And I begun with the Saxons. I have a couple of questions

1) What color were the Saxons guns (both the barrel and the carriages)

2) Can you point me to some example of Saxon flags? I did google stuff up but it was a bit confusing

3) What did Saxon higher officers (colonels and above) dress like on the field?

I have looed at the excellent Uniformology Plates,and the Ruhl ones, but on these three questions they were of limited help.

With Respect
Konstantinos

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nnooooo! Not the Saxon flag question!!!
Mollinary and Cameronian are the boys to ask, we did get it all in one thread, I will see if I can find it.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

KTravlos

mollinary

And Pendraken produce a single sheet of Saxon flags which has all 16 of those in use in 1866,plus the extra 8 Leibfahnen introduced for 1870 - all for only £2.50,! 

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: KTravlos on 04 November 2017, 09:43:35 AM
1) What color were the Saxons guns (both the barrel and the carriages)

2) Can you point me to some example of Saxon flags? I did google stuff up but it was a bit confusing

3) What did Saxon higher officers (colonels and above) dress like on the field?

I have looed at the excellent Uniformology Plates,and the Ruhl ones, but on these three questions they were of limited help.

With Respect
Konstantinos

Guns: "Grey. Remember Saxon gunners wore green tunics not pale blue and no, I don't know the exact shade  Wink"

cameronian

Mollinary is the man for flags, I also seem to remember him telling me that Saxon general officers wore a darker blue tunic and trousers. Gun carriages were grey, the Krupp guns would be black, not sure of the 12pdr shell guns,  ? bronze ? Gunners in 'jaeger' green, horse artillery bods wearing a rather swish helmet. My Saxons have removable flags so when I want them to be Bavarians we just exchange them and - hey presto, not perfect but passable.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

If you go to the grosser-generalstab site and look at the Knotel-Lezius link on German Uniforms, you can find a great album on 1864-71. This contains a number of drawings of 1866 Saxon uniforms, including a mounted general.  Also if you go the historischer bilderienst quenstadt site, and look up Flaggen und fahnen, you will see an entry for Hottenroth. If you click on Bilder galerie you can find a number of examples of both sides of Saxon flags from this period. The best ones are the four green ones at the right hand end of the second row.
Hope this helps,

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

KTravlos

Thank you all. I have already devoured the resources.