1866 Hesse Kassel flags ?

Started by curry, 03 November 2017, 05:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curry

Hello,
  did the small Hesse Kassel force have any flags in 1866 ?
Ranj.

mollinary

Good question!  Unfortunately, the answer is not clear. They almost certainly did, but I have not seen any representation of them. They had the misfortune of being on the losing side, and so were annexed by Prussia in the aftermath of 1866. In 1870,they carried Prussian flags. For those interested in 19th century German state military flags, Ewald Fiebig's 'Unsterbliche Treue', published in the 1930s,  is an excellent source. Sadly, he does not record the flags of those states absorbed by Prussia in 1866 - so he does not detail those of Hanover and Hesse Kassel. There are other sources for Hanover  which, for a small state, has an interesting variety of infantry and cavalry flags. I know of no such source for Hesse-Kassel. Perhaps some of our German friends might be able to help?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

mollinary

Just a thought. Many states continued to carry the flags issued towards the end of the Napoleonic Wars. For Hesse Kassel, new Flags were issued in March 1814. There is a description and illustration in  the Osprey on Napoelon's German Allies (5) Hesse, pages 33-34.

Mollinary

curry

Thanks  for replying Mollinary , my guess would be Napoleonic era flags used. Not seen that  Hesse book, another to add to he list.

Ranj.

mollinary

Worth looking for at shows, most of the military booksellers who turn up have shed loads of old and/or second hand Ospreys at knockdown prices. That said, the Hessians played practically no role in the 1866 campaign at all.

Mollinary

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!