Skin tones

Started by Sunray, 03 November 2017, 12:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

03 November 2017, 12:36:10 AM Last Edit: 03 November 2017, 12:37:49 AM by Sunray
No, not what you can do to yourself in a sunbed.   8) 8)

But advice for what colours you use to represent different and diverse racial skin tone types.

I have a dark skin "Nubian"(sic) paint that is excellent for West Africans,(Nigerian or Congo bush wars) but what do I use for the lighter tones of say - Afro-Caribbean ?

And then there is Asian?  What's best skin tone for Indian/Pakistani soldiers ?

Or indeed Middle Eastern Arabs ?  

Does those interesting fantasy skin tones of Vallego "Elf" and "Dwarf"  have any human applications ?

Mind you for realism my flesh (white ) Falkland paras have a streak of cammo.

John Cook

Quote from: Sunray on 03 November 2017, 12:36:10 AM
No, not what you can do to yourself in a sunbed.   8) 8)

But advice for what colours you use to represent different and diverse racial skin tone types.

I have a dark skin "Nubian"(sic) paint that is excellent for West Africans,(Nigerian or Congo bush wars) but what do I use for the lighter tones of say - Afro-Caribbean ?

And then there is Asian?  What's best skin tone for Indian/Pakistani soldiers ?

Or indeed Middle Eastern Arabs ?  

Does those interesting fantasy skin tones of Vallego "Elf" and "Dwarf"  have any human applications ?

Mind you for realism my flesh (white ) Falkland paras have a streak of cammo.

This might help.  http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1310

Sunray

Clever approach to a contentious subject.   Some epic eye candy !  ;)

As a basic 10mm painter who (1) sprays his primer and (2) paints straight from the bottle/tin , I would really appreciate what Vallego shades I could use in terms of the ethnic groups listed.

petercooman

I only use elf flesh followed by burnt umber wash on my models, or dark flesh with a dark flesh/khaki mix for the highlight.

FierceKitty

And Indians range enormously in skin tones, from pale Turkic with blue eyes to melanistic.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Aksu

One thing to keep in mind is how tanned the light skinned soldiers probably were. Whenever you see pics of Victorian / Edwardian era soldiers, explorers or other outdoors people in less than respectable dress, the tanlines around their wrists and necks are surprisingly strong.
Cheers,
Aksu

John Cook

Quote from: Sunray on 03 November 2017, 07:34:21 AM
Clever approach to a contentious subject.   Some epic eye candy !  ;)

As a basic 10mm painter who (1) sprays his primer and (2) paints straight from the bottle/tin , I would really appreciate what Vallego shades I could use in terms of the ethnic groups listed.

The Vallejo shades and numbers, together with colour samples, are beneath the photos of each enthic group.

paulr

Thanks John, a useful reference that I have bookmarked
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!