Wargame or War-game

Started by Leman, 31 October 2017, 08:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

When I write wargame on my computer it always autocorrects to war-game. I find this incredibly annoying as I have never ever seen it written as war-game anywhere else other than on this computer. Why, when it seems not to exist in the real world, does autocorrect feel the need to do this?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

sunjester

No idea but it really pisses me off as well!  ~X(

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

IIRC, some of the early books on wargaming had them written as two separate words. Will check tonight if I remember.

Westmarcher

Me too (Apple computers everyone?).

It also used to convert wargamer to warmer but now it offers me war-gamer, warmer and war gamer. Whilst "warmer" is mainly used in its conventional sense in Scotland, "warmer" is also a slang word in the West of Scotland and is pronounced waarmur meaning someone who has no clue, generally unlikeable and who gets on your nerves.   A bit like the autocorrect, in fact.     >:(

p.s. is there not a setting that allows your computer to "learn" new spellings?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Yep! I also get warmer  instead of wargamer - just got it then - stupid bugger who programmed this.

d_Guy

My iPad used to do that but I took it out back and gave it a d__n good thrashing!

Spellcheck seems to work differently in different apps. Often it shows you a choice on a word it is about to autocorrect before you type the next word, allowing you to select the spelling you want. Eventually it seems to learn your preference (although it often "forgets" again and one must start over).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Subedai

I simply added wargame, wargamer and wargames to my puters internal UK dictionary and hey presto, no more wrinkly red lines!.Isn't technology wonderful?

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

If you know how to do that sort of thing. Otherwise no! Its a total b*****d!!

sunjester

When the auto correct offers to change a word it gives me the options to Change, Ignore, Add to Dictionary or Google the word and I just click Add. But I'm using Chrome on a MS machine, not Apple.

Techno

I hate it, when the wibbly red line tells me I've got something wrong because I've used English, rather than American English.....For example, realise or realize.
I begin to doubt my own feeble spelling skills, when that happens.....And go and check on Google.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Phil - even you should be able to fix that in Word - set Dictionary to English, not American !

And yes that t**t  Webster has much to be blamed for !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Subedai

Quote from: Leman on 02 November 2017, 05:32:47 AM
If you know how to do that sort of thing. Otherwise no! Its a total b*****d!!

On any of the MS machines if you right click on your mouse while the cursor is on the word you get  a list of options one of which is Add to Dictionary. (Hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs).  B)

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

Quote from: ianrs54 on 02 November 2017, 12:15:16 PM
Phil - even you should be able to fix that in Word - set Dictionary to English, not American !

And yes that t**t  Webster has much to be blamed for !

I don't see what's wrong with typing 'twit' ?  ;) ;D ;D
Can I re-set that for just the Pendraken Forum, Ian ?

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

A "twet"?  As in something already tweeted?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on