Bren Gun Carrier revamp

Started by Sunray, 27 October 2017, 01:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Rumour Control has gleaned from a "reliable Teeside source" that the venerable BrenGun Carrier is getting a revamp.

A very useful WW2 and Korean War piece of kit.

Look forward to seeing images of revamped model and already placed a backorder for a brace or two.   :-bd

Leon

Not so much revamped as just remoulded unfortunately.  The old mould was a bit worn out so Dave's going to make a new one, but it'll still be the same model.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

Still a neat wee model - keep it on my November back order Leon.

Dave

Quote from: Sunray on 27 October 2017, 01:07:17 PM
Rumour Control has gleaned from a "reliable Teeside source" that the venerable BrenGun Carrier is getting a revamp.

A very useful WW2 and Korean War piece of kit.

Look forward to seeing images of revamped model and already placed a backorder for a brace or two.   :-bd

The revamp was on the airborne bren taking off the mud guard side flaps and the lower armoured plate at the back.

Dave

petercooman

Quote from: Dave on 13 January 2018, 10:37:47 AM
The revamp was on the airborne bren taking off the mud guard side flaps and the lower armoured plate at the back.

Dave

robbing those poor buggers of their ability to tow stuff. shame!  ;D

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Just to be pedantic - if it's airbourne it's NOT a Bren Gun Carrier, it's a Universal Carrier !!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Dr Dave

Quote from: petercooman on 13 January 2018, 12:33:42 PM
robbing those poor buggers of their ability to tow stuff. shame!  ;D

And to be even more pedantic: in the Airborne role it could NOT tow anything anyway - the tow bar and hook was removed so it would fit in the Hamilcar. Take a peek at the South Staffs carriers abandoned and KO'd along the Utrechtsweg - no towing facility. Besides the units that needed towers - AT and Artillery - didn't have carriers and the entire division only had 18 in total.

petercooman

Yes, but the pendraken model has a tow bar IIRC. That's probably why they will remodel it I guess.

It was a joke by the way  =)

Orcs

Quote from: ianrs54 on 13 January 2018, 12:51:57 PM
Just to be pedantic

Just a thought, do the words Pedantic and Pederast come from the same root ?? :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Quote from: Orcs on 13 January 2018, 03:30:00 PM
Just a thought, do the words Pedantic and Pederast come from the same root ?? :)

Pedant - from the Italian "pedante" meaning a schoolteacher

Pederast - from the Greek words for a lover of young boys

So, not only not from the same root but not even from the same root language!

</pedant> :D :D :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

14 January 2018, 01:14:02 AM #10 Last Edit: 14 January 2018, 01:16:18 AM by FierceKitty
Ultimately they almost certainly both derive from paidos, a child (I hope I've translitterated it correctly; my Greek is almost non-existent), though they travelled to us by very different routes.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

A  very informative piece on the Airborne variant of the Universal Carrier can be found below. As stated, the towing hook was removed, but they could tow stuff by using chains if required, but that was not their intended role.

[urlhttp://arnhemjim.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-universal-carriers-of-british.html][/url]

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!