Removing paint from figures.

Started by Sunray, 25 October 2017, 09:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

I purchased some odd 10mm figures recently (car boot sale), and research identified them as Pendraken WW1 Americans. (Do nicely for a few stands of Katanga Gendarmes) They have been plastered with cheap acrylic and possibly oil paint obscuring a lot of sculpt detail.

What agent/method is best to strip down to as near the bare metal as possible ?  I had thought of a white spirit soak and scrubbing brush.

Ithoriel

I use a soak in either nail polish remover or pine cleaner followed by a rinse in water and a scrub with an old toothbrush.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

skywalker

Place in an old container, coat with a liberal spray of the cleaner "Fairy Power spray" (if it is still available) leave to soak for about 15 minutes then scrub with an old tooth brush under running water. Repeat as required  :D :D

fsn

I used Dettol for the first time and after an overnight soak, the paint came off easily with a piece of kitchen roll and a toothbrush.

I also had a faint Dettol smell about me for the rest of the day.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

25 October 2017, 12:52:54 PM #4 Last Edit: 25 October 2017, 01:05:30 PM by Westmarcher
Quote from: fsn on 25 October 2017, 12:46:16 PM
I used Dettol for the first time and after an overnight soak, the paint came off easily with a piece of kitchen roll and a toothbrush.

:- Although somehow, sounds better than "Fairy Power spray," did you brush your teeth afterwards?  
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: fsn on 25 October 2017, 12:46:16 PM

How did you notice in Wuncorn  ?  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ace of Spades

For metal figures I normally use thinner; for plastics Dettol. I just leave them in until most of the paint is gone; less scrubbing which is usually safer on plastics.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

My thanks to one and all.  Some great tips here.    :-bd