Battle of Lansdown, July 1643.

Started by urbancohort, 24 October 2017, 07:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Weirdly my mates, who play a lot of FoGR, don't rate it for the ECW. They prefer Forlorn Hope, or its derivative, Warre without an Enemie. Personally I'm waiting for the TtS version For King and Parliament.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

We have had some successful ECW test games using Baroque
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Quote from: Leman on 28 October 2017, 05:02:30 PM
Weirdly my mates, who play a lot of FoGR, don't rate it for the ECW. They prefer Forlorn Hope, or its derivative, Warre without an Enemie. Personally I'm waiting for the TtS version For King and Parliament.

While we have tried a couple of Baroque games, (which have been pretty successful overall) I saw on TMP today that someone is running a trial FK&P game at the Hutt wargaming club here in Wellington in December, so booked that date as I'm keen to see them in action of the table myself.

Before anyone asks Lower Hutt and Upper Hutt are both small cities near Wellington and have no connection with Jabba the Hutt of Starwars fame. 

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Leman

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

urbancohort

Anone used "The Kingdom is ours" at all please? Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Chris Pringle

One of our group has been playtesting an ECW variant of BBB. Early reports are positive. I should get to try it myself later this month. (In breach of my usual self-imposed avoidance of anything pre-Napoleonic!)

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Steve J

A lovely walk out today saw myself and SWMBO end up on the extreme left flank of the Parliamentarian position. We had hoped to then walk along to the other end of the battlefield, but the weather took a turn for the worse, so we headed back. However, the info board was very useful and we could get a really good view across to where the Royalists advanced from. You can see why this was chosen as a defensive position, as to get to it means a damned hard climb from any direction, even in modern walking boots and not encumbered with any kit.

In just over a weeks time I'm off for a weeks hols, so intend to have a good wander of the battlefield. If the weather is good, I hope to take in Solsbury Hill fort and Hinton Hill fort (again), as they are not too far away.

urbancohort

Quote from: Steve J on 05 November 2017, 02:03:51 PM
A lovely walk out today saw myself and SWMBO end up on the extreme left flank of the Parliamentarian position. We had hoped to then walk along to the other end of the battlefield, but the weather took a turn for the worse, so we headed back. However, the info board was very useful and we could get a really good view across to where the Royalists advanced from. You can see why this was chosen as a defensive position, as to get to it means a damned hard climb from any direction, even in modern walking boots and not encumbered with any kit.

In just over a weeks time I'm off for a weeks hols, so intend to have a good wander of the battlefield. If the weather is good, I hope to take in Solsbury Hill fort and Hinton Hill fort (again), as they are not too far away.
It is amazing that they succeeded in storming that ridge, although Wroughton seems to suggest that Waller may have planned that as the fields behind were perfect for cavalry, where he was stronger than Hopton.

Solsbury Hill, not just a good song but possibly also the location of Badon Hill. Just beyong Lansdown is Dyrham, location of a battle in 577AD between the citizenry of Bath, Cirencester and Gloucester against the advancing Saxons.

Thanks for the add!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Steve J

Hinton Hill fort is part of the probable site for the battle of Deorham. Weather looking good next week, so just have to pick a nice day, pack some lunch and get the camera charged :)