5 (11.9%)
11-12
0 (0%)
13 or more
4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: 04 November 2017, 07:11:17 PM

paulr

We all try different rule sets and then sometimes move on and try something else.
Most of us also have a collection of regular rule sets that are our 'go to set' for a particular period and scale of game that we play again and again.
Some of us may have one rule set that we love and that is all we use regularly.

I am curious how our group of players compares to others.

To count as a regular rule set you must have played the rules at least three times and plan to keep coming back to them in the future.
If you use a rule set to cover multiple periods then it counts as one rule set, e.g. we use General Quarters I/II to play Pre-Dreadnought, WW I and WW II naval
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sandinista

For me in no particular order Black Ops, Hail Caesar, Pike and Shotte, Black Powder and Lion Rampant. Pike and Shotte gets the most use at the moment

Cheers
Ian

fred.

The ones that get the most table time with my gaming group are two home-brew sets, Hordes of War for mass fantasy battles, and mini epic for sci-fi. We have been playing Battlegroup and Rommel for WWII quite a bit, and I'm sure they will be part of our stable of rules. We have played a fair bit of TMWWBKs and I want to play more of those rules too.

We have played quite a bit of Irregular Wars - but it probably is too close to Hordes of War for it to be likely to get much more table time - which is a shame as it is a good game, but most of the group would rather play fantasy, than Renaissance.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

I read LOTS of rules but play only four (counting TtS!/FK&P as a single rules set). The number may be a function of how many active players you have in a playing group, since with several you can always have one or two experts. As an aging solo gamer, keeping my head around three or four is about it.

Also, for me, it is easier to remember more rules if they are from dissimilar periods.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

petercooman

21 October 2017, 11:50:12 PM #4 Last Edit: 21 October 2017, 11:52:23 PM by petercooman
I'll divide my answers in 'group' and 'solo'.

Group:

-BKC II for word war II games: We played BKC I and went through to second edition. Think this will be the majority of all games i have played with my group, so count about 10-15 a year.

-x-wing/wings of glory : a good surrogate for when we need to get a quick game in, or we don't have time to prepare much. Both same principle so will count as 1 ruleset.

That's about it. As a group we like to play Blitzkrieg comander so much, we hardly play anything else! Exceptions being cardgames like blood bowl and Greenland, but those are not 'rule sets'

Solo:

-Blitzkrieg Commander for WWII (bigger games)

-USE ME WWII for 'big skirmish'

-Song of blades and heroes/flying lead/deep dark dungeonsfor fantasy and pulp style games (all the same engine, flashing steel will add to this list shortly! )

-kings of war for fantasy games: works well solo for me

- deadzone for scifi skirmish; i use V1 with the AI cards for solo play

-LOTR strategy battle game: one of the best skirmish games out there.Used to be able to put this in the group category, but alas it's been years since it hit the table. Still like a quick game solo now and then, as Lord of the rings was really the first proper game i had when i was a beginner, so has a special place for me!

-War at sea (axis & allies): Great WWII game, Roll off for initiative really makes the game good to play solo IMHO.

-Napoleonic wargaming by Neil thomas: Really love this one. So much that i adapted them for my ACW games as well. (should really get 19th century wargaming for that, but never seem to make the purchase. Think i like the napoleonic one too much to even bother )

Seems i got quite a few :D

Hoping to add in the future: Bolt action for a light but good WWII game at lower level for the group.

FierceKitty

22 October 2017, 12:47:33 AM #5 Last Edit: 22 October 2017, 12:58:52 AM by FierceKitty
We cover a lot of history, so different rule sets are inevitable:

IACTA ALEA EST!, HEP! DEVS VVLT!, Ten More Sons!, Ball and Bayonette, A Hundred Circling Camps, White Man's Burden, Biggles Rolls a Six, and Alamein to Zem Zem.

Not counted: Blood and Borscht, which needs five reliable regular players and so happens too seldom, and Rising Sun Time, a set of Sengoku rules that I haven't used since the mid-1990s and might find a bit clunky by now. Used a few times recently but now discarded, The Good, the Bad, and the Lucky, which increasingly appeared to be players following rules, not making decisions. The honest townsfolk of Dead Man's Knees have found themselves assigned variously to the 26th Maryland volunteers, Rush's Lancers, and the baggage trains.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

Blitzkreig Commander and Chain Of Command for WW2 land.

General Quarters for WW2 Naval

Warmaster for Fantasy big battle.

Retinue for Medieval skirmish

Legends of the Old West and Once Upon A Time In The West for Wild West skirmish

"Headdenquest" (homebrew set derived from SPIs Dragonquest system) for dungeon crawling.

I suspect Tribal/ Primeval could be added. Played 3 games (all on Friday evening) and intend to play more.

I reckon that makes 9.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Dux Bellorum and Lion Rampant for Ancients. I have other rules but really like these.

The Pikemen's Lament for P&S era, although Baroque looks to be good (yet to have a game) and the forthcoming For King & Pariament.

Honours of War for 18thC.

Bloody Big Battles for 19thC, with Black Powder and Neil Thomas's rules getting a look in as well.

Blizkreig Commander II for iner-war and WWII along with Battlegroup.

So, plenty of rulesets but seemingly precious little time for games at present :(.

Leman

I submitted 5-6 but it may be more:

BBB

FOB2

FOG

Square Bashing

HOW

Ronin

There are others that I will be playing a lot more of in the future, including Dux Bellorum, Dux Brittaniarum, Saga, To the Strongest and Tin Soldiers in Action, as well as campaign based games like To the Last Gaiter Button.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

Hmm, the list goes up every time I think about it :D

My gaming isn't really regular despite a Wednesday evening every week as that's usually d&d; my wargaming is usually occasional weekends and we spread a bit thin to call any set regular.

Art d'la Guerre has revitalised our Ancients, Spearhead has replaced BKC again though, I've played plenty of Twilight of the Sun King recently, Impetus was a frequent contender, Frostgrave sees a fair bit of play even at the club. Blucher gets a lot of play time and Song of Blades for demo/participation games and Quick bashes at the club.

Although we're thinking Black Ops for this season so we'll likely have 3-4 games over the next month to get in practise :)

There's probably more I'll immediately remember when I hit save...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

KTravlos

toxicpixie

Oh good grief, haven't played for a couple of months but BBB as well :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

MeG
Dux Bellorum
Blucher
Warband
Battleship row series especially ww2
FogR
Sabresquadron
Poseidon's Warriors
Star WarsArmada

Plus quite a few irregular card driven games that the lads bring down
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Norm

I do quite a bit of boardgaming as well and some of those rulebooks can be significant (such as Panzer by GMT), so  my overall count is probably quite high......downside, I never master anything :-)

Smoking gun

Eight sets of rules, three of which are for WW2 :)

Rapid Fire!, Cross of Iron, BKC.

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.