Swordsmen and Spearman...

Started by Moggy1000, 20 October 2017, 10:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moggy1000

Is there any reason we can't buy separate swordsmen and Spearman? I know we have them under the "warrior" banner, but wouldnt people prefer to buy specific warriors? Like swordsmen or spearmen as separate units? Considering the range of a spear far exceeds that of a sword, thus adding to emersion?

paulr

If you ask that jolly decent Mr Leon chap nicely he will do you a special order at very reasonable rates ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Moggy1000

My point is we have the potential for a "bigger" army kinda thing, I think it is something thatbwould be good for the entire range...

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I do separate them for those armies I imagine to be 'regular'.
spears count as shieldwall, or resolute
Swords as fierce or powerful.

The more irregular forces, such  as Minotaur and goblins suit mixed bases
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Moggy1000

Quote from: mad lemmey on 21 October 2017, 08:30:14 AM
I do separate them for those armies I imagine to be 'regular'.
spears count as shieldwall, or resolute
Swords as fierce or powerful.

The more irregular forces, such  as Minotaur and goblins suit mixed bases

Yeah I get that... My main concern is when I got my latest batch of warriors through, I now have 27 swordsmen and 23 spearmen...

Ithoriel

Swords and those spears that are somewhere around six foot long have much the same reach because of how they are held.

Spearmen would tend to have a sword, axe or dagger for use if the spear was lost or broken so a spear and sword mix doesn't seem odd to me.

If you want a specific balance of figures, as has been said, Dave, Leon and co will provide that for a modest bump in cost to cover the extra time required to pick them.

I'm not sure why the split would allow for bigger armies? Surely if you're buying large numbers of figures you can just sort out the spears and swords from the multiple packs you'd need.

I may well be missing something but at the moment, as I am won't to say, this looks like a solution looking for a problem.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Moggy1000

Spears at full arm extension will be somewhere around 8/9ft... A sword will be around 6ft reach...

What if somebody wishes to have 50 swordsmen but only 25 spearmen? Or vice versa, it isn't a solution looking for a problem, it's an idea that is viable and logical...

Not need to be funny about it!

Leon

I suppose it depends on how you view your armies behaving?  The Barbarians and Goblins would be very irregular to my mind so a mix of all the weapons in a unit wouldn't look out of place.  But something like the Apes or High Elves might be more structured and you'd want to arrange them as such. 

At out end the Warrior moulds all contain 30 figures, usually split equally between the various weapons, so we clip off 25 assorted figures and send them out.  We could customise the ratios slightly and send 15 spear/10 sword if folks wanted them, or we could supply extra figures for you to make up full bases of each type?  I don't think we'd be looking to sell swords / spears separately as specific products though, as it would mean making more moulds and adding more codes to the ranges.  It's easier for folks to just contact us when they need a certain makeup within the packs.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

toxicpixie

I'm guessing by "bigger armies" you mean liatsnthat look like "1-3 Swordsmen (melee, fierce) and 1-3 Spearmen (melee, resolute)" instead of "1-3 Warriors (melee, May be Fierce and/or Resolute" sort of thing?

I don't have Warband but can you just play with more points and increase the minima/maxima proportionally?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Moggy1000

Quote from: Leon on 22 October 2017, 12:55:36 AM
I suppose it depends on how you view your armies behaving?  The Barbarians and Goblins would be very irregular to my mind so a mix of all the weapons in a unit wouldn't look out of place.  But something like the Apes or High Elves might be more structured and you'd want to arrange them as such. 

At out end the Warrior moulds all contain 30 figures, usually split equally between the various weapons, so we clip off 25 assorted figures and send them out.  We could customise the ratios slightly and send 15 spear/10 sword if folks wanted them, or we could supply extra figures for you to make up full bases of each type?  I don't think we'd be looking to sell swords / spears separately as specific products though, as it would mean making more moulds and adding more codes to the ranges.  It's easier for folks to just contact us when they need a certain makeup within the packs.

Leon does it state anywhere in the rules that they are set to 25 miniatures? Or is that extra 5 miniatures in regards to waste? Pick the best 25 of the 30?

Also how many men would be required to a 80x40 Base? It's difficult to split the spearmen into 2 equal groups without having an odd one... And same with swordsmen... Or are one of the command groups meant to be put with these warriors?

Also I looked at this idea from a business stand point too... As it could increase revenue towards you guys, business doesn't survive on love and care haha

Chieftain

Leon does it state anywhere in the rules that they are set to 25 miniatures? Or is that extra 5 miniatures in regards to waste? Pick the best 25 of the 30?

There are basing suggestions but nothing is hard and fast.  You can build your bases however you see fit.

Also how many men would be required to a 80x40 Base?

As many as you think looks good and fits your idea of how your unit fights (densely packed close order foot, or open skirmishing swarm).

Chieftain
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I have about 17 on most of mine.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Quote from: Moggy1000 on 22 October 2017, 04:13:35 PM

Also how many men would be required to a 80x40 Base? It's difficult to split the spearmen into 2 equal groups without having an odd one... And same with swordsmen... Or are one of the command groups meant to be put with these warriors?

With the fantasy figures, from about 10 to 20 should fit on an 80x40 base

If you have a few odds and ends then yes they can go on command bases.

You will find with bigger bases you can adjust numbers of figures without it affecting the look to any great degree. So you can have slightly different numbers on a base, and you may find some poses lead to denser formations. If you want to go really dense, to give a solid mass of troops then you can trim the cast on bases a bit. There is a really good example on the forum of an undead army using this style of basing.

There are also Warband examples of building different units with different formations on the big bases, this can look really effective too.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Moggy1000

Quote from: fred. on 22 October 2017, 07:44:33 PM
With the fantasy figures, from about 10 to 20 should fit on an 80x40 base

If you have a few odds and ends then yes they can go on command bases.

You will find with bigger bases you can adjust numbers of figures without it affecting the look to any great degree. So you can have slightly different numbers on a base, and you may find some poses lead to denser formations. If you want to go really dense, to give a solid mass of troops then you can trim the cast on bases a bit. There is a really good example on the forum of an undead army using this style of basing.

There are also Warband examples of building different units with different formations on the big bases, this can look really effective too.
either way I've got another few sets to buy in order to complete my Base army... Do Pendraken take stock to shows or just pre orders? Thinking about heading to Fiasco as I'm quite local ish

Leon

Quote from: Moggy1000 on 22 October 2017, 08:36:41 PM
either way I've got another few sets to buy in order to complete my Base army... Do Pendraken take stock to shows or just pre orders? Thinking about heading to Fiasco as I'm quite local ish

We'd only have the army packs with us at the shows, but if you're heading along to Fiasco, let me know what you need and we should have time to get it cast up and packed into the van.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!