Swordsmen and Spearman...

Started by Moggy1000, 20 October 2017, 10:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moggy1000

It doesn't make a difference but it's about the aesthetic... I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to most things, kind of... If you're gonna do it, do it right...

Also it would be cool to have rules for swordsmen and Spearman as technically there play style would be very different. I'm just a bit awkward is all... And stubborn, how she puts up with me I have no idea... And me and the missus believe our little one will be here early :)

Ithoriel

At the level of things like Warband there's not much difference between spearmen and swordsmen. The being wielding them has far more impact.

It's a top down rule-set not bottom up.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Thanks, chaps. :)

But....yet again.....As someone who has probably played barely a dozen 'war-games', with small soldiers.....And those were always refereed by folks such as the 'twins'.....(Where I could ask...."Can I do this....Can I do that..."....and simply roll the dice, to get a result.)

Is it not best to 'tweak' the 'rules' to suit your own 'interpretation' as to what you think works the best....or gives the most realism ?...Obviously with your opponent's consent ! ;)

Perhaps this should go into a brand new topic ?

Cheers - Phil

Ithoriel

I've never played with a group that didn't tweak* the rules-as-written to some degree or other.

It's not like the Wargames Enforcement Squad are going to turn up if you change things :)

But if playing with people you don't know well (casual pick-up games or competitions mainly) it helps to play the written rules rather than spend time sorting out both sides house rules.

Mike

For a value of "tweak" up to near rewriting of them :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jean1951

Does it make a lot of difference on how many figures are on a base ?

Hello,

In all sets of rules the base represent the width and depth occupied by troops.  In some set you put at least one to as many figures that you want to show what the base represents and to make them into dioramas (extension of your ego).  Other games bases represent formation from close four figures, open 3 three figures, loose 2 figures and an open and close represented by a deeper base and four figures.  Some rules casualties come with taking off figures or whole bases.

Best regards,

Jean