Of the limited choices which looks best?

Started by d_Guy, 20 October 2017, 07:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I do about the elevation level edges?

Leave them as is
0 (0%)
Paint them a shade of green
26 (89.7%)
Paint them black
1 (3.4%)
Other (please explain if inclined)
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: 27 October 2017, 07:15:12 PM

d_Guy

Dang! No I had not.

Quarter round baseboard - cheap, easy, totally reconfigurable - I even have a miter saw (for the few turns I would need to cut).

Brilliant - thanks, Peter!
Sleep with clean hands ...

toxicpixie

I was just going to say that looks spot on, and PETER posted that excellent suggestion. Whilst the tab opened!

Green tiles look much better for trees as well, I think. Obvious but not to obvious :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

...and triangular might be better - cheap enough I can try both.
Thanks also, Pixie (and yes, the money is already set aside for your painting - not going to blow it on Kallistra.  :D)

toxicpixie

Haha, don't worrry, I trust you. It's the US customs and the shipping companies I reserve the side eye for ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Quote from: d_Guy on 21 October 2017, 06:54:49 PM
Dang! No I had not.

Quarter round baseboard - cheap, easy, totally reconfigurable - I even have a miter saw (for the few turns I would need to cut).

Brilliant - thanks, Peter!

'welcome!

paulr

21 October 2017, 08:47:50 PM #20 Last Edit: 21 October 2017, 08:50:20 PM by paulr
Green is a vast improvement :)

Definitely a brilliant suggestion by Peter =D>

Perhaps use the hills as is for steep/difficult hills and add the triangles/quarter round for gentle hills :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Thanks, Paul.

Yes it kind of falls out that way since I use two flush levels to indicate steep (and three+ as impassable ) - I was just sitting a moment ago and staring at the thing, imaging how it would look with the molding, and realized I would have to leave plus one levels unmasked.

Leman

The photos look exactly like the squareed board system use in Tin Soldiers in Action. The authors have happily embraced the stepped pyramid high ground system as it fits neatly into the squares used for positioning troops and moving. They also look to give a very good solo game and they cover approx 1680 to 1914.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Well, the trend has continued - so mottled green it is - thanks all.

Leman, I found "Tin Soldiers in Action" on Boardgamegeek and enjoyed looking at the pics. See what you mean about the darker edges. Thanks!

Here is a link:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/198207/tin-soldiers-action

ErHo

Matt's idea for the win, but Peter's idea to add triangular trim seems a good one as well
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

d_Guy

Rather than start a new thread, I though it best to resurrect this one to maintain the context. I have done a final modification to my block and quarter round terrain system, going back to dense, non-pilling felt (I still use my several gridded battle mats for quick setups, however).

This is the beginning of a hypothetical campaign assuming Monmouth achieved complete surprise at Sedgemoor and routed the army of King James. The felt is now gridded and the elevation squares and quarter rounds covered in the same. The ideas is to give a rounder, less boxy appearance. Yes, it still has a somewhat board-game like quality BUT not as much as my previous approach:

The gridded board, of course, allows for the use of the forthcoming For King and Parliament rules.

"Lemmy" and "Techno" make their appearance again - first discussed here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15193.msg230792.html#msg230792

Logically the sheep dog is named, "Leon".

toxicpixie

Hmm, sorry  Bill - the "bitty" nature of the little felt prices is jarring to my eye.

Draping the cloth directly over them so it's "one piece would look better to me. But that might make the squares wonky that you've carefully marked out :D

Ithoriel

I think the latest version looks good. The "bitty" nature of the felt doesn't faze me at all. Each to their own ...
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

I think I would prefer the cloth draped over the hills rather than the bits, it shouldn't effect the squares too much :-\

Another thought is to over spray the felt with various greens that would break up the outlines
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

If you just chamfer the felt edges...not really. It looks great to me and if you are happy with the result then that makes it a win.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!