The Battle of Fox Gap 1862

Started by Norm, 19 October 2017, 05:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

First let me say that your hex terrain setup looked exceeding good! This is a question made out of total ignorance, how do you decide which way to bias the hexes with respect to the army endlines?  It seems like it makes some difference (without knowing anything about your rules) e.g. base-line to base-line movement would seem to  be slightly more difficult than flank to flank.

Have played hex based boardgames for years put never thought to ask anyone about this.  :-[  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Norm

Bill, do you mean what is often termed as the zig-zag effect? so when a unit moves forward it has a choice from two hexes as to which one to move into?

Steve J

Great looking game Norm and will fully read the AAR over the weekend.

d_Guy

Quote from: Norm on 19 October 2017, 06:37:06 PM
Bill, do you mean what is often termed as the zig-zag effect? so when a unit moves forward it has a choice from two hexes as to which one to move into?

Yes, exactly, much better way to express it.

Norm

Thanks Steve, I hope it entertains. Jonathan Freitag, the scenario designer is part way through his AAR and there are differences in his game, so it looks like the scenario balance is pretty good for its first time outing.

Bill, in all the games the I play, I have the hex field running so that it zig-zags forwards towards the other players side and has the hex grain running from side to side. This way it is visually intuitive when an army is formed in line. As the game plays out, units can rotate within their hex, but they must always face a vertex (corner) so that they always have a choice of two hexes to their front and the two hexes also form the angles for the units fire arc.

The zig-zag effect is interesting as it compresses the depth of the battlefield, essentially making it slightly deeper in real terms. So using a 4" hex tile, you can have 12 hexes on a four foot width, but 12 hexes deep takes up less than three and a half foot.

d_Guy

Thanks for the explanation. I had mentioned casually elsewhere about someday (after I have gained a great deal more experience) trying to implement TtS!/FK&P on a hex board. At first blush having units face the sides would probably translate the game mechanics better (or easier, more to the point). That would give you staggered lines, of course, but approximate the "checker board" deployment often used in the period. Cursory searching hasn't flound anyone doing a hex implementation. If i live long enough I may give it a go.😀

Norm

20 October 2017, 05:27:19 AM #7 Last Edit: 20 October 2017, 05:31:46 AM by Norm
I can't recall where, but I remember Simon himself talking about an easy transition of his rules from squares to hexes.

EDIT - here is a link to someone who used hexes, which may be of interest.

http://thenorthumbrianwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/to-strongest-15mm-greek.html

Techno

petercooman

FierceKitty

Have fun with them, pals, but I'm not going the hexagon way.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy