Best army to battle dark elves?

Started by Moggy1000, 18 October 2017, 08:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moggy1000

So as you all know, I've got a dark elf army, with a few more additions will be nearly ready for battle, my main concern is, nobody in my area plays 10mm fantasy, or 10mm in general... So to try get people into 10mm ibwas wondering what army would go well/competitive against dark elves...

Now I know Leon and the guys will be happy = more money haha... But what's your guys opinions? Quite partial to the High elven army or dwarves... Really unsure, what do you guys think?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

High Elves is good, but tends to be 'samy' as their stats are similar. They have the advantage of cavalry, chariots and ents. Their magic is also subtly different and protection based.
Dwarves are a very different force, high protection combat monsters, a great force if you want to introduce someone to the rules.
Minotaurs are a lot of fun, charge forward can most monsters (literally).
Dragon men bring a nice, mixed bag of troops.
Undead bring a whole different set of ideas, can you last while your Lord deals the damage.
Barbarians are fun, but lack protection, so need a decent Lord/shaken to add supper.
Woodies bring a shooting edge, but unless you want Ents, aren't really a great combat force.
Samurai Apes are very very different, and could be brilliantly eye catching.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Moggy1000

It's to get my 9 year old interested and get other people at a local club... Although I do plan multiple armies not just 2 haha!!

Do Pendraken offer a catalogue yet?

fred.

Dwarfs offer an interesting counter balance, and are generally quite popular with gamers.

Taurians or Samuari Apes have the advantage of being unusual so are likely to draw interest of other gamers.

Personally I like Taurians, both from the figures, and the tactics, hard hitting Minotaurs and speedy centaurs give nice flexibility in an army.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Moggy1000

Just a hint, but I'll probably invest a little in each army... Got a few short stories knocking around in my nogging... Although I say short, may turn into 100+ pages short novels based on the armies pendraken have given us... If I getvthat completed the guys at Pendraken may get sent a rough copy to see if they like em :)

Raider4

Quote from: Moggy1000 on 18 October 2017, 09:05:52 PM
Do Pendraken offer a catalogue yet?

Yes they do, I picked one up at Colours. Although I suspect this information is not much use to you . . .

They used to have a PDF version - not sure if this is still available?

Cheers, M.
--

toxicpixie

Take the phone to the club and show them the Website piccies ;)

I don't play warband myself but something that says "fantasy" and a little bit different is always a good eye catcher - apes or minotaurs.

Or if your mates are more classical Tolkien ish go Dwarvss or Elves.

Or if they like the more pulp fantasy Undead or Barbarians.

Dragon men I don't know - I gather there's a lot of options there so anything g from Gondor to 100YW to dragon riding sort of Melnebone types?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting