How unimpressive !

Started by Techno, 18 October 2017, 07:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Is this the best noise that two neutron stars can make when they collide ?

I mean....I know it didn't happen just down the street....(Just as well, really)....It was 130million light years away ....But I'd have expected a slightly grander noise than something that sounds like a fuse blowing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41640256

If astronomers ever detect the sound of the Big Bang.....What's that going to sound like....."phwppppt" ?

Cheers - Mr Disappointed.

toxicpixie

Try this -
- just right for the new Ghost Arcipelago game :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Takes so much to please some people !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

I demand the music of the universe be free form experimental jazz!

Mmmm nice...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

Nah, clean eternal laws of order on an 18th century organ.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

No reason you can't make experimental free form jazz on an c18th organ!

It'll probably sound like '70s prog rock shenanigans via the magic of the Moog, but hey.

Just because you can love the universe, doesn't mean the universe loves you ;)

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Dr Dave

18 October 2017, 03:27:34 PM #7 Last Edit: 18 October 2017, 03:34:59 PM by Dr Dave
Well, strictly speaking, it's not a sound anyway. Sound being a longitudinal wave it cannot propagate in space which is a vacuum. Also, if it could, then the "sound" has spread into a sphere and it is an awful long way away. The further away the quieter it is!

Jazz, uhmmm, smooth, uhmmm... shi£e.  :D

d_Guy

If two neutron stars colllide in space and no receiver is tuned to detect, do the still propagate a waveform?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: d_Guy on 18 October 2017, 03:52:24 PM
If two neutron stars colllide in space and no receiver is tuned to detect, do the still propagate a waveform?

:-B :-bd =O
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )