Inverlochy 1645 replayed with FK&P

Started by d_Guy, 18 October 2017, 04:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

I am continuing to enjoy playing with a draft of the For King and Parliament rules. Having started with the Lessie's Moor scenario I wanted to try to replay something I'd done earlier out on the Fringe.

Inverlochy pits a goodly number of Highland types against each other adding in a Highland feud (Campbell v. MacDonald) to the welter of reasons the Wars of the Three Kingdoms were fought.

Historically this battle was a decisive Royalist victory and the replay delivered the same results, yet the Covenanter's were game and put up a nasty fight. As I get more and more comfortable with the rules, the play is becoming smoother and I can concentrate on the story that gets generated by the game.

If you like To the Strongest! I suspect you are really going to like FK&P.

The full report, more notes on FK&P, and additional pics are at my blog:
https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2017/10/17/inverlochy-1645-with-fkp/

The Campbell clan array (front line) awaits the Royalist attack approaching from the lower slopes of Ben Nevis:

Manus O'Cahan's Irish musketeers demolish Rouge's Lowland battalion on the Royalist left flank:

The Covenanter front line (blue) is being perforated by Royalist (red) attacks:

With Alasdair MacColla laying dead on the field, Montrose leads the Glengarry MacDonalds in crushing the right wing of Argyll's Regiment.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Norm

As a fan of grids, this has instant appeal to me. I like that a sense of battle, with different things happing at different points in the line, can be got out of something that is just 12 cells wide, a format that will easily scale up or down to meet gamers needs re table size.

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Great looking game and can't wait for these to be released.

jchaos79

great battle report! and good looking pictures!

Terry37

Great looking battle, and nice looking troops!! Well done!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

mollinary

It is a joy to read your reports, Bill, you have a real knack!

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

cameronian

Colonel Cockburn's experience should be a warning to us all ... never have sex on a nylon carpet !
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

d_Guy

Hey folks, thanks for the comments!  :)

Quote from: Norm on 18 October 2017, 05:45:50 AM
As a fan of grids, this has instant appeal to me. I like that a sense of battle, with different things happing at different points in the line, can be got out of something that is just 12 cells wide, a format that will easily scale up or down to meet gamers needs re table size.

I'm becoming more and more a fan also and of smaller space productions in general. It would be interesting to use these rules on a hex grid.  As I think about the rules it would require a good deal of reworking to accomplish (I think).  I haven't looked yet but probably someone has done "To the Stongest!" on hexagons, will have to look.

Quote from: mollinary on 18 October 2017, 03:00:46 PM
It is a joy to read your reports, Bill, you have a real knack!

Andrew

Thanks - you and Simon provide the "scripts", I just "film" what happens.  :)

Quote from: cameronian on 18 October 2017, 04:01:35 PM
Colonel Cockburn's experience should be a warning to us all ... never have sex on a nylon carpet !

The military probably has a training film on this.  :-\
Sleep with clean hands ...

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!