Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

I DO like those !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

Now for something truly random.  A friend went on a bit of a spree and bought all of GW's new Contrast paints.   After a quick run home to get my primers paints and some surplus orcs we got to experimenting.

The nurglings in the middle show off what I'd call a standard quick technique.  Put on a base coat (in this case I think the were pale olive, pale green and just the white primer) cover with the new "Gloss" Nuln Oil then finally apply the contrast paint liberally (nurgle flesh here).

Some quick and random  notes

• The glossiness of the coat under the Contrast makes a big difference.
  • In general I think the mid tones worked best.  Dark colors didn't show as much contrast and light colors tended to seem like a wash.
  • I was surprised how much I liked the white and black contrast paints.
  • The paints labeled as human (or dwarf) flesh didn't look too great over white primer.  Maybe with the right undercoat they'd be better.
  • It's a pain to try and decide when the gloss wash was dry.
  • The Contrast Medium could be pretty useful but for good results  I think you have got to get the ratio spot on.

Techno

Damn fine job you're doing on those, Cookie ! :-bd

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

It's been a while since I thought to post here but once I managed to get my hobby room somewhat cleared I have been painting a bit.

Right now I have a set of FireForge Byzantines and Russians which I'm hoping to use for soldiers of Gondor.  I had the idea of using some tree charms to make their shields and this is what's come in so far.

Any favorites?

The treess laid down in front are just too wide to make it onto a shield but maybe they will be useful for some standards or as building decorations.

Techno

The big one on the right for me !  :)

Cheers - Phil

sunjester

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

What a great idea!

Middle one for me.

"Seven stars and seven stones. And one white tree."
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

mmcv

Middle gets my vote. The left one has a bit of a Yggdrasil vibe.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

lowlylowlycook

Primed with some Vallejo grey then side brushed on some Reaper blue liner.  It was easier than I was fearing.  I do wish that the circular shield was a millimeter or so bigger.

Ithoriel

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 13 May 2020, 08:30:34 PM
I do wish that the circular shield was a millimeter or so bigger.

It's on the small side but still a reasonable size for a "Dark Age" shield.

If anything, I'd say other other shield looks a trifle large and unwieldy.

That said, they both look fine to me.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 May 2020, 08:54:20 PM
It's on the small side but still a reasonable size for a "Dark Age" shield.

If anything, I'd say other other shield looks a trifle large and unwieldy.

That said, they both look fine to me.

The large shield is just a bit bigger than the oval shields that com on the sprue.