wich british models to use for pirate games

Started by petercooman, 15 October 2017, 11:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Chaps,

As stated in the title.

Malburian era? Seven years war? I see lot of people using AWI but that's too late. Most famous pirates were around 1720.

So malburians with tricorne seem to fit. But would live to be sure!

Ithoriel

15 October 2017, 01:13:22 PM #1 Last Edit: 15 October 2017, 01:20:49 PM by Ithoriel
The swabbies would look much the same throughout the period, often dressed in whatever came out of the slop chest, so it's mainly the officers and marines that matter. I'd definitely go for the tricorne hat look of the Malburian era.

Uniforms for Royal Navy officers weren't laid down until 1748 when Lord Anson introduced them so I think you have some lee way in choosing officer figures.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

Thanks!

I forgot to mention it were the marines/infantry I was unsure about.

Ship/cannon crews will be usual 'pirates' from foundry/ redoubt.

I wanted a close look to the black sails series so I think malburians will quite fit that.

petercooman

Leman

Although not a model, I would suggest Keira Knightly. She has pirate form.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Not a bad choice!

I'm a bit torn between wargames foundry and redoubt enterprises at the moment.

Foundry having the nicer sculpts, but redoubt really the cheaper option, with lots of guncrews for pirates! Unfortunately, they don't have malburian era models, only 7 years war and french indian war.

i must say their french indian war stuff looks good as well.

petercooman

ok so really can't decide, will have to wait untill tomorrow to make my order  ;D

toxicpixie

It'll be a good use of your new boats either way :)

I'm tempted by North Star's 1672 at some point, I must confess, as I really want to do some Channel piracy with the Dunkirkers!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

petercooman

Well, i'm really enjoying black sails for the moment,so i'll go with the later era.

But, i have been lookingat black scorpion's pirates as well, and although they are somewhat pricey, they are gorgeous as well! I have some lying around already so they are another good option!

toxicpixie

Ooo yes, they're lovely models but out of my price range too!

Ithoriel

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!

I haven't even got my Prehistoric warbands for Tribal delivered yet and now you lot have me browsing Blue Moon's 15mm pirates, civilians and troops!!

Good job I can stay ... Ooh! Squirrel!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

One legged ones with an eye patch and a parrot on the shoulder.  :d :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

petercooman

Quote from: ianrs54 on 16 October 2017, 03:43:48 PM
One legged ones with an eye patch and a parrot on the shoulder.  :d :D

So black scorpion it is then  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ErHo

Wow!! those are fantastic!

Looks like some wet blending on those guys, nice smooth job!
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer