Depicting Scots W3K units

Started by pierre the shy, 13 October 2017, 09:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Evening all, first post for a while.....

Looking at doing some Scots Royalist and Covenant Baroque units for the period 1640 - 1660 in 10mm down the track (i.e. 2018) and thinking about how to depict them using Pendraken figures....a few of questions for those more knowledgeable about the period.

I have got a reasonably good idea of what I am going to use but had a few what if questions:

1. Can I depict some figures in a Scots  M&P unit as being in typical "English" garb with purhaps morions and floppy hats or do the Scots Covenanters tend to wear 100% blue bonnets and "hodden grey" type clothing?

2. Ditto with the units of Montrose's Irish Brigade (In this case I think yes I can).

3. What about cavalry - OK lancers will probably be in bonnets but can the rest be depicted as "ordinary" sword and pistol armed ECW cavalry in pot-helms?

4. Lastly did Scots musketeers/dragoon types use musket rests?

I know there are resources out there (I lent most of mine to a friend of mine who has now apparently disappeared off the face of the the earth  >:( ) and yes I do follow DGuys very comprehensive Celtic Fringe blog.

Thanks in advance for any (useful  ;)) inputs.

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

SV52

Stuart Reid's very good little books on the period are a goldmine.

1.  I wouldn't, mine are mostly in bonnets, the Pendraken figures straight from the packet.  Hodden is a type of coarse woollen cloth so not all Hodden was grey.  Some armour scattered about in ranks of pikemen in the regiments of wealthier colonels is I think reasonable.  Variety is the name of the game IMHO.
2.  When Montrose's Irish finally arrived in Scotland they were apparently in a sorry state.  They would not have been in any kind of recognisably 'Irish' uniform.  They would have looked like anybody else in a mix of lowland and highland garb and anything they could get.
3.  Scotland never bred what would be called good military grade horses, nags all round, so armour if available not practical. Government cavalry regiments tried to field a squadron of pistoliers in two troops and a squadron of lancers in two troops.  Firearms were the favoured weapon as the horses weren't up to shock cavalry action.
4. No idea, maybe aye maybe naw. Doubt it was universal if they did.

This is what I did:

http://cameronian-onlyagame.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Civil%20War%20Scotland
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

pierre the shy

Quote from: SV52 on 13 October 2017, 10:09:21 AM
Stuart Reid's very good little books on the period are a goldmine.

This is what I did: http://cameronian-onlyagame.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Civil%20War%20Scotland

Reid's stuff are indeed a goldmine, it was those books that I lent to my friend.

Your units look very nice, pretty much along the lines I would like to do next year...bookmarked your blog.

Thanks for the inspiration  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

SV52

That's a blow. Good luck with it, post the pics when you got 'em  :)
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!