"Vikings had Allah Embroidered on Funeral Clothing."

Started by ErHo, 12 October 2017, 05:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErHo

Check the link to judge for yourself, personally it seems like a stretch to make the connection presented in the article.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41567391
QuoteTo unlock the puzzle, she enlarged the letters and examined them from all angles, including from behind.

"I suddenly saw that the word 'Allah' [God] had been written in mirrored lettering," she says.

I'm not going to patronize anyone, or suppose I know more than anyone on this subject but I do know "Vikings" got around(like my ex GF) even to the middle East for some fun(like my ex GF).

Correct me if I'm wrong but Islamic fables arent present in Norse culture or religion, by thier basic nature they saw what they liked and took it aesthetically.
I havnt seen any artifacts or writings that saw the Norse practicing Mohammad's teachings though. 

Is this legit, or maybe an example of multicultural bias from social engineering?

Thoughts, flames, prizes?
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

fsn

IIRC, Neil Oliver in a TV program on "the Vikings" (we prefer the term Norse) described how in one house was found artifacts from North, South, East and West. The Norse were prolific traders and adventureres.

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that Norseman came into possession of some nice Middle Eastern fabric. It may have had some funny squiggles on it, but I'm sure that just added to the "flash" value.

I'm sure they also had some nice Christian crosses modified into Thor's hammer.

If it demonstrates anything, it is the trading networks in the "Dark Ages".

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

ErHo

IMHO, in the example given its a stretch to assume the writing as apposed to geometric embroidery
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Ithoriel

Aḥmad ibn Faḍlān ibn al-ʿAbbās ibn Rāšid ibn Ḥammād visited the Rus, apparently. So Islamic traders almost certainly did too.

Varangian Guardsmen, for example, would have plenty of opportunity to acquire Islamic items, by trade, looting or theft, without any need for them to have adopted the faith. 
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

The only thing that is wrong is the 'Allah' part.

I'm sure it says 'Dry Clean Only.'
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

ErHo

Quote from: Westmarcher on 12 October 2017, 10:25:26 PM
The only thing that is wrong is the 'Allah' part.

I'm sure it says 'Dry Clean Only.'

Look closer, it says "Made in Hong Kong" 

When asked, the viking replied "I took a wrong turn at Constantinople"

- Rimmer

toxicpixie

The Vikings attacked and sort of possibly settled as fart south east as Persia and the Caspian, hitting Azerbaijan and points south and east. They traded silk (and other goods) all the way back over to Scandinavia  and settlements west - England, Ireland, Iceland etc. They were prolific stealers of any culture they liked, from cold hard cash to whole sale ransacking of other peoples pantheons, not to mention the other people themselves. Given Arabs, North Africans and Persians ended up in Scandinavia it really isn't a stretch to think they appropriated whatever bits of said peoples and places religions they felt like :D

Were they practising Muslims? Not very likely. Did they ransack the religious culture of Islam, nicking the bits they felt fitted? Looks very like it :D

If they'd managed to beat up the Skraelings successfully they'd probably have nabbed a good chunk of NE American folk lore as well ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Sandinista

Probably no different to modern people getting tattoos with Chinese lettering

toxicpixie

Bad tattoos with culturally appropriated, mistakenly worded badly translated foreign languages, wierd hair cuts, lots of running around shouting?

You sure they're not footballers instead of Vikings :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Raider4

Quote from: toxicpixie on 12 October 2017, 11:07:45 PM
. . . Given Arabs, North Africans and Persians ended up in Scandinavia . . .

And Chinese! (Yes, I've just watched Vikings, season 4 . . .)

Cheers, M.
--

toxicpixie

From memory that's remotely possible (central Asian DNA found in bodies in scandawegia, definite trade from as far west as Iceland off along the Silk Road and some further than central Asian artefacts found there too) but not very probable (slaves tended to be funnelled into the eastern med, not out from, and Vikings tended to be sellers not buyers of people).

I shan't mention anymore show related detail for spoilers :D

Raider4

Quote from: toxicpixie on 14 October 2017, 12:46:58 PM

Ahh, yes. Sorry, didn't think of that. I'm used to usually catching programmes a long time after everyone else has seen them.

M.

FierceKitty

Quote from: toxicpixie on 14 October 2017, 12:46:58 PM
From memory that's remotely possible (central Asian DNA found in bodies in scandawegia, definite trade from as far west as Iceland off along the Silk Road and some further than central Asian artefacts found there too) but not very probable (slaves tended to be funnelled into the eastern med, not out from, and Vikings tended to be sellers not buyers of people).

I don't know about purchase, but slavery was certainly an important part of Viking society. And they did raid the western fringes of the Islamic world....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

toxicpixie

Yeah, but the sources have them as sellers over buyers - they preferred cold hard cash (well, luxury trade goods) over people. Too little space to run slaves in any numbers and every slave needs almost one person to watch them unless they're very willing, so they seriously cut down your potential numbers of people free to do exciting things.

It's not impossible, at all, just unlikely. Doubly so for who she is on the show, I suspect :D

Weirdly one of the best descriptions of why the Vikings didn't go in for mass slavery as such comes from a discussion on Runequest :D

http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd7/2000.07/6925.html