"Vikings had Allah Embroidered on Funeral Clothing."

Started by ErHo, 12 October 2017, 05:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErHo

Update!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/allah-viking-burial-fabrics-false-kufic-inscription-clothes-name-woven-myth-islam-uppsala-sweden-a8003881.html

QuoteMedia around the world including The Independent reported on the finding, but now a leading expert in mediaeval Islamic art and archaeology has disputed the claim and said the inscription contains "no Arabic at all."

Stephennie Mulder, a professor from the University of Texas in Austin, said the error stems from a "serious problem of dating".

She claims Kufic script did not occur until 500 years after the Viking age.

Interesting turn.   Apparently the original claim has defended her position, but the dates seem to be the lynch pin here.

"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

toxicpixie

Well, the script originated in the 7th century and was the major script for writing the Quran for several centuries so it's definitely in period - although her "it's a bit squashed and you have to complete it" might beat argument :)

I still suspect it just looks good, never mind the real meaning or any real belief behind it.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Dr Dave

Wow!

This is fascinating. What they need to do is conduct further tests.

I'm offering my services to determine if the artefact in question is soft, strong and very very long.  ;D

toxicpixie

there's not much you can say about that sort of use for a priceless historical artefact :D

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting