Should be demolishing pillboxes?

Started by toxicpixie, 11 October 2017, 12:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

UK people, what do you think? Well, anyone, really not just UK :D

Granted pill boxes are not often a beautiful example of architecture but they are an interesting & important piece of history and building example...

Would you feel the same if it was a fortified Tudor manor or Norman castle?

https://planningon-line.rushcliffe.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=neighbourComments&keyVal=OWX9WTNLL5S00
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

As you say, they're not really beautiful, which is the only real reason to preserve a useless building.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DanJ

At the risk of being outrageous, I'd get rid of it.

There are thousands of these things scattered all over the country, loosing a few or even a lot wouldn't matter to our heritage, almost nobody visits them on purpose, nobody looks after them and mostly they have become derelict urinals and rubbish dumps.

Sometimes the UK seems to be turning into one huge museum with the whole country living on its history.  So, map where they all are for historic reference and keep a few pill boxes which are in important/strategic sites and get rid of the ones that are in the way of progress.

And how do we decide which ones should be kept, they're the ones not in the way of modern development.

toxicpixie

Quote from: DanJ on 11 October 2017, 12:27:33 PM
Sometimes the UK seems to be turning into one huge museum with the whole country living on its history.

That about sums us up in general, never mind the pill box :D

Thing is, this is a pretty unique pillbox and defence set up - it's got a two storey bit and isn't (I think) replicated elsewhere...

It's not beautiful and the developer has knocked down as much as possible (seemingly in the hope the rest will fall down, fait accompli), but if we just kept beautiful things to hand we'd have to knock down most of the country and/or forum members ;) And who decides... taste is very subjective. I loved the Birmingham Central Library, and was really sorry to see it go, for instance. And if you let developers get away with just smashing things up till they fall down what's next? We already have a very suspicious amount of "whoops it accidentally set on fire/someone drove a digger in/I hung a picture nail and the whole thing fell down, guv'nor!" moments on listed or otherwise in use/difficult to develop sites as is.

I dunno, discuss ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

My instincts are for preservation, in fact. But not without discrimination.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

A great many ate actually listed buildings...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

[*ate* ?]

I'm a member of Friends of Historic Scotland so (surprise, surprise) I'm generally in favour of preserving and maintaining our architectural heritage (plus it is also very beneficial for the tourist industry). However, if it is really ugly (e.g., the dirty grey concrete monstrosities of the 1960's), I have to confess, I too can struggle! :-[  Maybe a fancy makeover with some nice curtains .....?   :D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Quote from: mad lemmey on 11 October 2017, 01:35:16 PM
A great many ate actually listed buildings...

ATE ????......Did they use any salt and pepper ?

My poor old teeth wouldn't be able to crunch down on concrete/bricks/whatever.
I love predictive texting !!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leon

Is this it?  If so, it's not the clearest example of a pillbox I've ever seen...!

We've got a few in our area, one of them is currently working it's way into the sea on Redcar beach.

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

toxicpixie

The plans show where they are, and I think that's part of one that was sort of in the corner of a now demolished hanger (which it appears they shouldn't have knocked down, hey ho, whoops, sorry, don't know how that happened m'lud!). I'm not local so I dunno exactly :D

That one sliding under the beach is actually for protecting us from the Deep Ones, so it's fine. Move along, nothing to sea here!

d_Guy

I like the picture with the dog - it appears to be a transformer slowly rising from the sand to gobble up the poor oblivious creature.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leon

I didn't see the plan...  :-[  There looks to be over a dozen of them on the site, but I can't make out exactly how the plan matches the Google earth image.

I've always liked them so I'd keep them personally.  It's a shame they can't be renovated a little and protected in some way but they're so accessible that the kids wreck them.  We've got a nice one up near us on a former Starfish site:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

We have a starfish one near Formby Point, which the youthful wannabe Banksies have decorated with their usual dystopian Bolinbrokes - a blood streaming skull on some sort of monstrosity. There is another one further inland covering a bridge over the River Alt. This apparently was turned into quite a comfy little refuge by a homeless man, until of course he was ejected so that it could go back to serving no useful purpose.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

There are 3 close to me - one has virtually disappeared into the undergrowth, the other 2 are on the road bridge on the A41 close to Levers factory. Both those have been bricked up. They don't take up much space and would be hard to remove, so why bother.?

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021