Specific heroes for Warband...

Started by Moggy1000, 11 October 2017, 10:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moggy1000

I think a hero character or two for each army would be great, usually on cavalry, dragon or some other beast in relation to the army... Could have an undead necromancer, dark elf with a hero on a spider chariot, high elf on a dragon... Things like such...

Techno

Bully Leon as much as you like..... ;D ;D ;D

I really enjoy going to town on individual figures !

The only drawback from Leon's point of view is that he'll only sell a handful......compared to the troops that would be regarded as 'grunts'.....Would folk be prepared to pay extra, for what are effectively 'one offs' ?

Cheers - Phil

fred.

Yes - because its only the odd figure.

I recently bought the Zulu chief for 50p for a single figure, compared to £1.65 for a pack of 10. And was quite happy to do this, as I only need 1.

I have always really liked the character figures that came in the WM command packs. And its great to see Pendraken doing similar with Warband.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

Quote from: Moggy1000 on 11 October 2017, 10:53:52 AM
I think a hero character or two for each army would be great, usually on cavalry, dragon or some other beast in relation to the army... Could have an undead necromancer, dark elf with a hero on a spider chariot, high elf on a dragon... Things like such...

Read the original now - rather than just Phil's answer.

And yes big monster things would be great - these were always good from a WM point of view. They cost about the same as a pack of normal troops.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Moggy1000

I'd happily pay £5-10 for one hero, provided it was pretty sizeable... Like a chariots (dark elves, undead), dragon (high elves), elephant/Mammoth (barbarians),tree (wood elves) ...

I wouldn't complain another extra cost... Malekith from GW was a £50 model...

Techno

Fine by me, chums.....

As I say....you'll have to bully Leon.  ;) ;D

It wasn't until I worked for the Evil Empire in the late Eighties/early Nineties, that I got my head around this.

In those days...A pack of 'grunts' (at 28/30mm) would come out at about £1 per figure.....but so were the 'character' figures.
When the price of a 'command group' seemed to go rocketing up...I must admit, I thought, that's a bit excessive.....Until I thought about it.

Grunts.....Sell hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands ? (more ?).....Command groups ?....A relative handful.
The time it took the sculptor to make the command figures, might have been a teeny BIT longer... but the number of figures would have been a tiny fraction of the sales of the 'grunts'.

It's like a one off figure, like Napoleon (or Wellington)....Just as an example.
Probably takes one of my colleagues a little bit longer to make those.....but only charge Leon almost the same amount as a 'normal' trooper.

You never, ever see a battle with hundreds of the ultimate commander of the force on the table.

I know a LOT of you understand this......But there are a few who haven't had this pointed out.

Hope that all makes sense ! ;)

Cheers - Phil

Leon

It's definitely something we'd like to do, Barbarian chieftain on a mammoth, Elf on an eagle, Goblin warlord or a big whacking chariot, things like that.  It's timescales at the moment really and getting some other projects out of the way before starting new ones.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Moggy1000

Leon you have given us hope... But if we are deceived we will March upon you with chariots of steel, weapons made of pan and armor made of cloth... :) haha

ErHo

Quote from: Techno on 11 October 2017, 11:47:15 AM
Bully Leon as much as you like..... ;D ;D ;D

I really enjoy going to town on individual figures !

The only drawback from Leon's point of view is that he'll only sell a handful......compared to the troops that would be regarded as 'grunts'.....Would folk be prepared to pay extra, for what are effectively 'one offs' ?

Cheers - Phil

Limited run??
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

ErHo

Quote from: Leon on 11 October 2017, 01:48:37 PM
It's definitely something we'd like to do, Barbarian chieftain on a mammoth, Elf on an eagle, Goblin warlord or a big whacking chariot, things like that.  It's timescales at the moment really and getting some other projects out of the way before starting new ones.

But this is clearly more important!

Make it happen, I'm on hunger strike until I see the update!
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Moggy1000

Not talking about a limited run, as somebody could essentially monopoly them onto a certain auction site... Bit like the 2009 update of Space Hulk...

I think if the molds are made,  they should be put into the rules. I plan on building multiple armies, even upto 200/300 units... I have no intention of changing brand and I see this as an investment... A lot of the guys at the local gaming place play the bigger scales with "heroes"... So if I cam get them into this scale anything would be helpful :)

Raider4

Quote from: Moggy1000 on 11 October 2017, 08:07:19 PM
Leon you have given us hope... But if we are deceived we will March upon you with chariots of steel, weapons made of pan and armor made of cloth... :) haha

Sorry, can't make March. Can probably do April . . .

Moggy1000

Quote from: Raider4 on 11 October 2017, 08:59:52 PM
Sorry, can't make March. Can probably do April . . .

Damn auto correct!!! Although I have many birthdays in April... So possibly May?

Ace of Spades

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!