Identifying units in the same division in Black Powder

Started by Orcs, 11 October 2017, 05:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

Yes, if you're referring back to an army list it's no great mental hassle. At least until the third lubricating beverage goes down and brigades end up hopelessly intermingled, but there's probably no hope by then whatever you've chosen ;)

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

I think there are two distinct situations here, giving rise to whether or not to permanently mark. Most of the games I play with my 10mm figures in the FPW have fixed unit sizes. Permanently marking the base is not a problem. In the SYW I also use units of a fixed size, identified by flags and cuffs/lapels etc. However in 6mm FPW, when I am doing BBB and unit size can vary from battle to battle I attach a small label to the command stand along the lines of 5/T, i.e. the unit started with 5 bases and is trained so will be spent when it drops to three bases.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

I like that approach, Leman - anything that makes it obvious from a glance is good. I don't mind the record sheet > hidden mark approach but it's nice to see at a glance.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

The brigades the units are in will vary from game to game, so I need something that is a temporary marker
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

GrumpyOldMan

11 October 2017, 09:58:31 PM #19 Last Edit: 11 October 2017, 10:33:59 PM by GrumpyOldMan
Hello

For temporary markers I use envelope labels. You can write the details on one end, fokd ovet to make a tab and use the sticky part onto the underneath of the base. This leaves a tab sticking out from the rear of the base with the required info. I hope I've described it ok. If not I'll take a photo.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

mollinary

I regularly print markers for my units. If all you want is to differentiate Brigades, I would recommend a simple piece of coloured card, glued with PvA  to the underside of the base, with enough protruding for you to distinguish between Brigades.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 11 October 2017, 09:58:31 PM
Hello

For temporary markers I use envelope labels. You can write the details on one end, fokd ovet to make a tab and use the sticky part onto the underneath of the base. This leaves a tab sticking out from the rear of the base with the required info. I hope I've described it ok. If not I'll take a photo.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

No that's perfectly clear thanks

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

Quote from: mollinary on 11 October 2017, 10:22:43 PM
I regularly print markers for my units. If all you want is to differentiate Brigades, I would recommend a simple piece of coloured card, glued with PvA  to the underside of the base, with enough protruding for you to distinguish between Brigades.

Mollinary

Sorry that won't work as they are not in the same brigade  every game

mollinary

Quote from: Orcs on 11 October 2017, 10:50:43 PM
Sorry that won't work as they are not in the same brigade  every game

Well, I would respectfully disagree. The bits of card cost peanuts, and you can replace them after any battle. Simplicity trumps minimal costs anytime for me.

Best,

Mollinary

paulr

Use blue tack instead of PVA and you can juggle the labels / coloured cards around
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

I presume the dab of PVA is small enough you can just pull the tab off? Then you can add another in a different colour/marking for the next game etc.

I'd be tempted to pop a little sticker somewhere visible but unobtrusive on the base.

Leman

Orcs asked for advice, loads has now been given. Take your pick.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

And his favourite tune is Ace of Spades. I saw that one coming, he said, hammering the point home. Or as the chainsaw said, don't get me started.

Coat!

mollinary

Quote from: toxicpixie on 12 October 2017, 09:03:43 AM
I presume the dab of PVA is small enough you can just pull the tab off? Then you can add another in a different colour/marking for the next game etc.

I'd be tempted to pop a little sticker somewhere visible but unobtrusive on the base.

Absolutely!

Mollinary