The Ifni Bush war 1950s

Started by Sunray, 10 October 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

This war came about because my son disposed off a DAK 10mm Battle Group (bits of a battle group) to me in exchange for some 1/600 well painted ships.

First I thought Latin America - then I remembered old Franco's Spain.  ;D

Germanic uniforms, and local rip offs of Me109, JU 52 and .....a fleet of Pz IVs (which they eventually sold to Syria).

Images of the Ifni War even threw up obsolete kit like the Pak 41 still in service

Opposition - I will probably go for a more uniform Algerian ALN look as opposed to the Moroccan irregular Arab.

Another proxy for the North Korean Infantry ?  These wee chaps will never be unemployed.  If they throw a 5/6 and become a Soviet client state - T34s get a rematch with Pz IV  :)

Scenery-  loads of North African/Middle East get another outing- the grass mat sprayed with patches of desert yellow.
Even Peter Pig 15mm bits blogged down to 10mm with bits and bobs from Irregular Mins.

Did the Spanish have German/Italian  armoured cars  before the Greyhound arrived ?

mart678

Like it how about America supplying the one side with up to date(ex WW2 stock) could have PZ IV fighting with Shermans or M3 Grants endless possibilities :D :D 

Steve J

What a good idea to use a wide range of kit.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

Quote from: mart678 on 10 October 2017, 12:05:45 PM
Like it how about America supplying the one side with up to date(ex WW2 stock) could have PZ IV fighting with Shermans or M3 Grants endless possibilities :D :D 

Well, from the DAK units, I have the  bones of a colonial power battle group- lets call them Iberia - and a few items from SCW range will give suitably attired command figures/ Legionnaires. 

Some great images online of CASA 2.111 being used in close support and a butch Buchon HA1112 bombed up with rockets like a Typhoon !  They sported a Royal Blue finish. £3.15 from Wonderland.

When you think about it, any prop powered aircraft will do COIN if they enjoy air superiority.

Iberian paras can be WW2 American or the new Pendraken Korean American.   I do want the JU52 to get an outing. Or I could use a brace of them Franco style to simply airlift troops  to suitable desert airstrips-   You can land on a lot of desert terrain.

And I have seen images in the Ifni Sahara of a Beau Geste style desert fort.  Hmmmmm  :o

Now I find an espionage role play task for my secret agents, and Sunray has the makings of his Boxing Day Family war game  :)

(Leon never agreed to a modest "spies & secret agents sub range - so I made my own. Not so much James Bond, more a Minifigs converted Harry Palmer on a budget). 

He has a busy wargame career- just finished being a proxy arms dealer in Zembala.  Sales and delivery subject to dice roll ofcourse.

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Sounds great, you know how I love esoteric and obscure campaigns.

Found this site that talks about:-

"The Spanish formed light armoured desert columns to patrol and act as flying columns. These columns made up of M24 tanks, M8 armoured cars and 4x4 and 6x6 light vehicles manned by elements of the Foreign Legion. The Spanish also employed Canadian WW2 surplus C15T armoured trucks, called "Trumphy"s in Spanish service. "

http://baberonwargames.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/wip-tercio-sahariano-circa-1958.html

Now I know that Pendraken doesn't make this armoured truck but another manufacturer, with a mine of information, does  :P.

Interesting that the Spanish used the American gear even though they had an agreement with the US that they wouldn't be used in the Sahara, maybe this is later.

You could always use some T26s as well.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

mart678

How about a campaign game set in fictitious  continent could even have the UN

Sunray

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 11 October 2017, 12:26:31 AM
Hello

Sounds great, you know how I love esoteric and obscure campaigns.

Found this site that talks about:-

"The Spanish formed light armoured desert columns to patrol and act as flying columns. These columns made up of M24 tanks, M8 armoured cars and 4x4 and 6x6 light vehicles manned by elements of the Foreign Legion. The Spanish also employed Canadian WW2 surplus C15T armoured trucks, called "Trumphy"s in Spanish service. "

http://baberonwargames.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/wip-tercio-sahariano-circa-1958.html

Now I know that Pendraken doesn't make this armoured truck but another manufacturer, with a mine of information, does  :P.

Interesting that the Spanish used the American gear even though they had an agreement with the US that they wouldn't be used in the Sahara, maybe this is later.

You could always use some T26s as well.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Thank you very much Vic !  :-bd

Yes, the US conditions seem to be ignored.

The C15 T A Trumphey is a very useful early APC - or to be correct "Battlefield Taxi"

I can recall images of the Canadians using them (or it could have been an Otter) in Korea  to pull a 25lb pounder gun.
 Can any member source me an image ???

Dave did ask me some time ago about vehicles that are late WW2/Korea - the Otter and the C15TA would appear to be in that category

In looking at wargaming Korea one thing gamers who have played late WW2 look for is a Taxi around the killing ground.  

Natxo

Use Moroccan falangists from SCW range for Ifni shooters, and USA paratroopers for the Spanish ones.
If you want pictures ore anything else tell me.

Sunray

Quote from: Natxo on 30 September 2018, 08:09:32 PM
Use Moroccan falangists from SCW range for Ifni shooters, and USA paratroopers for the Spanish ones.
If you want pictures ore anything else tell me.

Thanks Natxo, I recently fought a Biafra era skirmish using a host of proxy figures from Falkland Brits via WGS DKA to Irregular bush wartypes.  So minded to recycle the kit (Panhards, ferrets, and R & D home made armour =modified carriers and Italian assault guns) into one mother of AK47 style bush wars.  Great fun building technicals !

I have got to love that Biafra home designed version of duck pattern cammo.

I get the first Korean figures next week so will share proxy potential with the forum.