Froeschwiller tomorrow

Started by Leman, 08 October 2017, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Great looking game and a nice set of armies from your friend. I too don't make a fuss about my birthday, but friends and colleagues can't understand this. Each to their own.

kipt

Like. How long to play?

Different result than my previous endeavor but then different rules. Mine was about 5 hours with a break for lunch.

paulr

Great looking game and at least one of you enjoyed it ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Quote from: Leman on 10 October 2017, 09:56:40 AM
Yes, I'm afraid that was a must try harder report.  :-[

Sums up the whole French command effort doesn't it ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

sunjester

Leman

11 October 2017, 08:49:08 AM #35 Last Edit: 11 October 2017, 08:53:25 AM by Leman
Quote from: kipt on 10 October 2017, 09:17:09 PM
Like. How long to play?

Different result than my previous endeavor but then different rules. Mine was about 5 hours with a break for lunch.
This one took about 3 hours before it became clear who had won. We were both familiar with the rules. It could possibly be quicker as Chris recommends that this is a four player game.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leman

Quote from: paulr on 10 October 2017, 09:26:12 PM
Great looking game and at least one of you enjoyed it ;)
I enjoyed it as well as I like to see a battle unfold. The French did suffer a little from poor dice, which immobilised a few crucial units, but it was a mistake to try and hold the southern flank, given the victory conditions. It was pretty good to see the Bavarians doing considerably better than on the day. It was they and the overwhelming artillery wot done it.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Leman on 11 October 2017, 08:49:08 AM
This one took about 3 hours before it became clear who had won. We were both familiar with the rules. It could possibly be quicker as Chris recommends that this is a four player game.

The whole raison d'etre of BBB is to get entire battles fought on a standard 6'x4' table in an evening session of 3-4 hours' play at your friendly neighbourhood wargames club. I have a fairly robust formula for how long a game takes. Add up the number of infantry and cavalry units on both sides; multiply by the number of turns; divide by 100, and that's how many hours a game should take with 4 players who know the rules (probably plus 20-30 minutes because the initial turns are likely to be slower while players make their plans).

Froeschwiller: 27 units (not all of which start on the table, some arrive quite late in proceedings) x 10 turns = 270, /100 = 2.7 hours, call it 3. In the book it says 3.5 because I added another 0.5 to allow for some inexperience or slow play.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/